• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gene associated with Lupus may protect against severe COVID-19 infection November 3, 2022

Marylib

Now we'll all be checking our genetic stuff. At one point I remember 23 and Me said I had one of those 'extra risk factors' for Lupus and celiac disease, but then 23 and Me had to take down most of that stuff because they got in hot water with the FDA or something. Never been diagnosed with Lupus myself, thankfully. I was reading another genetic website that talked about risks for ME/CFS and Long Covid and I only had one of those risk factors - one of the calcium ion channel ones.
https://www.geneticlifehacks.com/genetics-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-and-long-haul-viruses/

Gingergrrl

Some genetic variants may put people at risk of autoimmune diseases while conferring protection against the outcome of viral infection. A new study suggests that genetic predisposition for systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) may be protective against severe COVID-19 infection.

I looked at the link but want to make sure that I understood it correctly. Are they saying that having Lupus (autoimmune disease) might be protective against someone *getting* Covid (if they have been exposed to confirmed Covid) or do they mean that once someone w/Lupus has Covid, it might protect them against having a severe case?

I was reading another genetic website that talked about risks for ME/CFS and Long Covid and I only had one of those risk factors - one of the calcium ion channel ones.

This also confuses me :). What do they think is the relationship between someone getting Covid and/or Long Covid and having a calcium ion channelopathy?

keepontruckin

Concerning your first question Gingergirl, I am not sure. But I interpret it that when they get COVID, they do not get the severe type. On your second question, I don't know the answer to that one either, but I think I heard they had not really determined yet that the ion channelopathy issue related to long covid. But then I heard the Australians had determined it did.

Gingergrrl

Concerning your first question Gingergirl, I am not sure. But I interpret it that when they get COVID, they do not get the severe type.

Thanks! That was how I interpreted it, too, but I was not certain.

On your second question, I don't know the answer to that one either, but I think I heard they had not really determined yet that the ion channelopathy issue related to long covid. But then I heard the Australians had determined it did.

Thanks! When I see studies like this, I try to figure out if they might pertain to my situation? I have never gotten Covid (in spite of recently having a direct/prolonged exposure to someone while they had Covid). I have several autoimmune diagnoses including a calcium channelopathy (although I do not have Lupus).