• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gcmaf and antibiotics

I have been on the GcMaf (25) for a while without a lot of results but it seems that when I am on antibiotics for a period of time once a month I feel a little better. And I don't have these afwul periods before my menstruation anymore.
Usually abx made me always even more tired.

Does anyone have similair experiences? Can GcMaf enhance the influence of abx?

I will ask my Dr as well when I see him and let you know.

gcmaf and abx

Could it have something to do with healing the gut? My leaky gut syndrome is looking a lot better..

What I want to add is that we could underestimate the influence of food. I am on a anti-histamine diet and I don't have headaches as side effect.

cigana

Hi cansado,

I am not on GcMAF, but when I take high dose antibiotics I feel much better. Lot more energy, less PEM, less joint pain. It needs to be around 3g a day (amoxicillin). The effect kicks in within about 8 hours leading me to believe it is not the antibacterial action but more likely the anti-inflammatory (or possibly immuno-regulatory) effects.

Mark

Hi cansado,

I am not on GcMAF, but when I take high dose antibiotics I feel much better. Lot more energy, less PEM, less joint pain. It needs to be around 3g a day (amoxicillin). The effect kicks in within about 8 hours leading me to believe it is not the antibacterial action but more likely the anti-inflammatory (or possibly immuno-regulatory) effects.

Mark

Same here, I feel a lot better on amoxicillin and other ABs.

Jemal

Hi cansado,

Mark

Also not on GcMAF. I took Doxycycline for a while and noticed an effect within 12 hours (I thought I was imagining it at first). Like Mark I believe it's anti-inflammatory effect was helping me and maybe later the antibacterial effect as well. I have noticed that all anti-inflammatory drugs have greatly helped me. I have been on Ibuprofen for a year (works against the pain and is anti-inflammatory) and Amitryptiline (works against nerve pain and is also anti-inflammatory, even though this drug was developed to fight depression).

Ibuprofen is not a friendly drug, but I believe it has kept me functioning for the last 12 months. I am almost able to work fulltime again (and I came from 4 - 5 hours of work a day) and I can go to all social appointments again.

C

Cloud

Not on Gcmaf, but I can agree that abx have always given temporary relief. Nothing works as well as Azythromycin to pull me from a crash, and sometimes prevent an impending crash. Clarythromycin works almost as well. Since one couldn't be responding so quickly to the destruction of pathogens, what else could it be other than immune modulation (and the anti-inflammatory effects) bringing about the reprieve? Problem is that the abx's are only effective for short term intermittent use. With so many reports of relief with abx, it's deserving of a closer look at the mechanism of action for creation of effective immune modulators.

Thanks for your reponses. I am on 500mg abx right now and just once a month. Before GcMaf I used to crash on abx. All the best!

mojoey

I think Cheney (?) says that minocycline has anti-inflammatory effects? So he recommends that antibiotic for a lot of patients.

Antibiotics in general make me very ill, despite testing positive for lyme per CDC criteria

cigana

I have discovered the reason why I feel better on high dose antibiotics - I have Bartonella infection and probably also Lyme. I would really encourage anyone else who feels better on antibiotics to look into this (I never had a tick bite and never really been outdoors much)...