• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gastroparesis/Delayed Stomach Emptying and Colonic Inertia

FernRhizome

Ems:
The sitz marker test is such a simple test there is no reason why it would not be easily available for kids. It does not involve any drugs or injuections. My gi doctors never told me about it either it was only 9 years after living with colonic inertia that I learned about it from a doctor at the Lahey clinic. It is such a fundamentally simple test that it is incredibly odd that every gi doctor doesn't use it as a matter of course. Just ask your gi doctor for it by the test name Sitz Marker study. ~Fern

Hi I am in the uk and found this on a google search. I have ME/CFS and have also been diagnosed with colonic inertia and wondered if the two were connected. Bascially the bowel has given up and the surgeons here have suggested I have it removed..a subtotal colectomy, where the large intestine is taken out and the small intestine and rectum will be attached together. Obviously I am scared about this and wonder what affect it will have on my CFS but am tired of my stomach problems too.

richvank

Hi I am in the uk and found this on a google search. I have ME/CFS and have also been diagnosed with colonic inertia and wondered if the two were connected. Bascially the bowel has given up and the surgeons here have suggested I have it removed..a subtotal colectomy, where the large intestine is taken out and the small intestine and rectum will be attached together. Obviously I am scared about this and wonder what affect it will have on my CFS but am tired of my stomach problems too.

Hi, viks.

Before having your gut plumbing modified, you might consider trying the methylation treatment for lifting the partial block in the methylation cycle in ME/CFS. This could help to restore your gut function, since the neurotransmitters that normally control peristalsis of the gut are affected by this partial block. You can find more information on this in my documents, by clicking on Wiki at the top of the page. and then on "General Wiki Pages." Testing and treatment are discussed in part 7, but the background and rationale are on the earlier pages.

By the way, I'm writing as one who has had part of his colon and rectum removed, and the rest connected back together. I don't have ME/CFS, but I did have colorectal cancer about 13 years ago. So far, so good, but I can tell you that the modified gut design does not work as well as the original! :D So I think it's worth trying some other things before making a permanent change of that sort.

Best regards,

Rich