• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gamma retrovirus in other rodents?

FernRhizome

Gamma retrovirus in other rodents, both pets (hamsters etc.) and wild? Fleas?

Is there any reason why the XMRV gamma retrovirus couldn't be in other rodents? Such as pet hamsters, gerbils, or gunea pigs? Or rats, pet or wild? It seems to me if XMRV hopped into humans, which is a big hop from rodent to mammal, then it certainly would have made an easier hop first from one type of rodent to another?

I am thinking of all the pet hamsters I raised as a kid, of the pet rat I took care of for a high school friend who was away for a semester, of the gerbils and gunea pigs my brother had as a kid. And of the wild rodents besides mice, such as rats, moles, etc. that live in the rural areas of a rural state (and of course there are city wild versions as well).

The retorviral researchers must be very aware of this since they've known about the mouse version for some 80 (?) years I think. Presumably they would have looked at other rodent species as well. ~Fern

FernRhizome

hey could we add a question to the XMRV positive survey asking if the person had pet rodents growing up??? ~Fern

Countrygirl

:confused:
=FernRhizome;50560]hey could we add a question to the XMRV positive survey asking if the person had pet rodents growing up??? ~Fern

I have wondered about this possible connection. I received a deep bite from a pet guinea pig, before I developed M.E. We need another poll, perhaps. It certainly is a question worth asking.

V99

A friend of mine became I'll around the age of 10, her younger sister a few years later, and her mum has been sick for about 30 - 40 years. I got I'll around the same time as the younger sister.

They always had hamsters and guinea pigs.

Michelle

Decennial ME/CFS patient
We too had hamsters/gerbils when I was very little.

I've also wondered about fleas from pets like cats/dogs. We had terrible problems with them within the year or so I started getting sick with what was probably not quite yet ME/CFS -- just mild, persistent fatigue, IBS, and frequent respiratory infections, so much so that my legs would be covered in flea bites. I have absolutely no background in science, but remember that fleas can spread infections to humans (i.e bubonic plague). But then, that wasn't a retrovirus and I have no idea if retroviruses could spread in such a way.

FernRhizome

Wow, I forgot all about fleas! Interesting! I once had a terrible infestation and had to bomb the house.

Countrygirl

=Michelle;54356]We had to bomb the house multiple times that summer and the next. It was awful.

The pesticides used in this process, of course, cause a ME-type illness. This was researched by the Glasgow research team, Prof Behan and Dr Gow.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
I've also wondered about fleas from pets like cats/dogs. We had terrible problems with them within the year or so I started getting sick with what was probably not quite yet ME/CFS -- just mild, persistent fatigue, IBS, and frequent respiratory infections, so much so that my legs would be covered in flea bites. I have absolutely no background in science, but remember that fleas can spread infections to humans (i.e bubonic plague). But then, that wasn't a retrovirus and I have no idea if retroviruses could spread in such a way.

With three cats running around in the fields we have frequent problems with fleas. I always know when they have them because I start feeling really sick - before any fleas or flea bites are noticed. Growing up we always had cats and no health problems, but the onset of my illness coincided with us taking in a stray kitten!