• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Galacto-oligosaccharides and candida?

I know that prebiotics are not well accepted during the most critical periods of candida, but I no longer have any results with antifungals and the only probiotics that helped me (boulardii and reuteri) are now causing me problems with histamine, bifidos are very timid and seem to work slightly but unfortunately they seem to depend a lot on prebiotics. Last year I decided to test the probiotics + prebiotics combination and I had the following reactions:

Acacia + PHGG: Together or separately they cause me bloating, pain, gas, severe constipation in different doses, stuck gas, yellowish, mucous and thin stools, using them with probiotics makes no difference, it seems like they don't feed on them (only the bad one in your gut, lol). It doesn't seem to make oral thrush worse or better.

Inulin: The strangest of all, in low doses with or without probiotics improves bowel movements, thick brown stools without a strong smell or mucus, but a lot of stuck gas, an improvement in sleep and mood but immediate return of oral thrush and skin related candida symptons, high doses cause constipation and the return of all candida symptoms but the stools still big and without strong smell.

FOS: It's been a long time since I used it so I don't remember completely(2009~2015), but pure and in high quantities (above 1g) has the same effects as acacia and PHGG plus oral thrush and general candida overgrowth but in 2012 when vitacost had good suppliers of probiotics they had a formula with 35 billion bifido/lacto and 50mg of FOS per capsule, I took 3 capsules a day for about 2 months and all my symptoms improved, skin, bowel movements, hair and even my lactose intolerance disappeared! Then I bought it again in 2013 until 2015 and I remember never having any effect again, neither positive nor negative with their supplements, I read somewhere that it was at this time that the old suppliers changed.

Lactulose: I'm lactose intolerant so I won't risk it.

Resistant stach: Bloatness and the return of all candida symptons.

My last chance is GOS, has anyone tried it while having problems with candida and lactose intolerance? Does this prebiotic naturally contain lactose or is it just the bimuno brand that adds it?

Thanks!!

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Not pre- or probiotics but what about something like caprylic acid (like Mycopryl) or Undecylenic Acid (like Thorne's)? I take the Mycopryl and it seems pretty gentle. Of course, I usually never take the recommended dosages on the bottle.

I haven't tried the Undecylenic Acid yet but may at some point.

Just a note not to lay down for a while after taking the Mycopryl or you'll get some burning and back up into the esophagus. (I'm guessing that would be the same for the Undecylenic Acid as well.)

@Judee I used caprylic acid for a long time, it lost its effects, but I will use it again and see what happens, unfortunately I don't have access to undecylenic acid, thanks!

@MaximilianKohler I tested these probiotics but didn't have much success, unfortunately only boulardii and reuteri seem to attack candida with full force, but my histamine intolerance prevents me from using them for longer, sad! Thanks!

I have never been tested for this, unfortunately my medical plan does not cover heavy metal tests.

One thing I know that prevents me from improving my dysbiosis is my low stomach acidity and weak liver, unfortunately betaine HCL is very bad for me! Dandelion has inulin, other choleretic plants also hurt me, I used and really liked milk thistle but after my bad experience with NAC I can no longer take it without causing an allergy! My latest attempt to improve my stomach acidity is gentian root.

MaximilianKohler

@MaximilianKohler I tested these probiotics but didn't have much success
There's a lot more there than a few probiotics :)

Probiotics are very limited and certainly aren't a solution for most people. I don't have candida but I also benefited greatly from S. boulardii + reuteri at one point.