• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

From the 1st annual XMRV conference

Thanks a lot. What does it mean that the INTERCEPT Blood System inactivates XMRV/MLV?

urbantravels

disjecta membra
Thanks for the links. Is anyone else twittering/liveblogging?

The INTERCEPT system is for treating donated blood. It's not a treatment for us sick people, unfortunately.

George

waitin' fer rabbits
If I'm reading this poster correctly

Experiments were carried out by contaminating blood components
with natural viral isolates from a CFS patient and then measuring
the level of inactivation using an infectivity assay. The virus stock
was prepared from a WPI cell line expressing both XMRV and MLVrelated
viruses.

So they used an actual person and not Dr. Silvermans clone. The wording is a bit confusing though on weither they infected the blood with a WPI cell line that they created from a CFS person who they had tested and found to have XMRV and PMLV-RV's or if they had a cell line that they had created and they added the CFS persons blood. Course it's probably just my foggy brain but it really does look as if they are able to test for all MLV varients.

For each experiment, samples were withdrawn before
and after treatment and assayed for the level of viral infectivity.
To quantify the level of virus, samples were titered on DERSE cells in
six-well culture plates

According to this they can get a titer reading on the samples??? That's a couple of steps ahead of the best news we've heard. This would suggest not only being able to get positives but to get the amount of virus in the persons system. WOW???!!!???

The cell-free virus stock in phosphate buffered
saline has an reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction
(RT/PCR) titer of ~107 copies/mL and an infectivity titer of ~106
IU/mL.

Does anyone know what this means???

George

waitin' fer rabbits
Thanks for the links. Is anyone else twittering/liveblogging?

The INTERCEPT system is for treating donated blood. It's not a treatment for us sick people, unfortunately.

I haven't seen any other tweeters yet just XMRV global action updating facebook and the Cleveland Clinic Tweets.

VillageLife

From FACEBOOK:
The CFIDS Association of America: Today and tomorrow, more than 200 researchers from around the world will gather on the NIH campus to share the latest data about XMRV. Dr. Francis Collins, NIH Director, will give opening remarks today. The final Q&A session will be webcast to the public tomorrow at 5:15 p.m. CEO Kim McCleary and scientific director Su...zanne Vernon, PhD, will represent the CFIDS Association. Here is a link to more details: http://www.virology-education.com/index.cfm/t/Program/vid/1FFCB7B8-FB88-C1D2-92C420E3BCEB0FB0

and a reply to this message from Andrea Whittemore: Looking forward to Dr. Ruscetti's talk. Finally things will be put to rest.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Am I right in thinking that the CFS stuff is this afternoon and that all day tomorrow is general MLV stuff and MLV/cancer? And then that Q&A for the whole workshop content?

George

waitin' fer rabbits
From FACEBOOK:
The CFIDS Association of America: Today and tomorrow, more than 200 researchers from around the world will gather on the NIH campus to share the latest data about XMRV. Dr. Francis Collins, NIH Director, will give opening remarks today. The final Q&A session will be webcast to the public tomorrow at 5:15 p.m. CEO Kim McCleary and scientific director Su...zanne Vernon, PhD, will represent the CFIDS Association. Here is a link to more details: http://www.virology-education.com/index.cfm/t/Program/vid/1FFCB7B8-FB88-C1D2-92C420E3BCEB0FB0

and a reply to this message from Andrea Whittemore: Looking forward to Dr. Ruscetti's talk. Finally things will be put to rest.

(Huge dog eyes) HUH! slobber, slobbrer, drool, drool, That sounds promising!!!!!!

VillageLife

I hope they give Dr Mikovits a standing ovation at the end of this conference!
:victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory:

Bob

oh... this bit is interesting... what could this mean? any ideas anyone?
Does anyone know what the subject of Ruscetti's presentation is?
Has he got something big up his sleave that I don't know about?
It just says Ruscetti = "Invited lecture on Chronic fatigue syndrome" in the program.

Sasha

Fine, thank you

Oh! Thanks, urbantravels and Bob. I had that all backwards.

Still, I see they've got a poster session on now during the coffee break - I wonder if any CFS stuff that has been postered will be in today's poster session. I hope there might be and that someone might Twitter it out - or that they might even start sending out press releases. We were discussing Dr Cheney's (?or one of those big guys) study that was going to be a poster on another thread - he was saying the results were "sensational" or something like that, so if that's the quality of the posters then I hope they're on top of sending good info to the press.

urbantravels

disjecta membra
Whoever is twittering for the Cleveland Clinic is really not producing a lot of tweets. Unclear on the concept - Twitter is all about realtime instant gratification!

George

waitin' fer rabbits
Whoever is twittering for the Cleveland Clinic is really not producing a lot of tweets. Unclear on the concept - Twitter is all about realtime instant gratification!

(giggles and grins) Yeah, somebody needs to take his phone away and show him how it's done!

2:41 Tweet: uhhh just saw judy, she's wearing green today, looking good
2:45 Tweet: That Dr. Coffin is talking to Dr. X it could be serious
2:53Tweet: Big poster of mice on the wall, will get picture to post later
3:01 Tweet:Bald guy is handing out papers, I'll try to get one and sum it up for you

(big grins) They probably made everybody put up their phones!

Sasha

Fine, thank you

I agree, it is most ungratifying!

It seems weird to have an institution tweeting, though. Sort of like the Queen trying to do it (willing to be modern but only distantly grasping the concept).