• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Freecycle (free stuff)

Orla

I am not sure if this is the right section for this but it seemed appropriate.

I thought this might be of interest to those who are struggling financially. There is a group called Freecycle. You go to www.freecycle.org and see where your local or nearest group is. There are many in different countries.

People offer things for free, or you can ask for things you need. The idea is to keep usable items out of landfill. Sometimes people will have something that is useless to them, or that they no longer want or need, but is useful to someone else, so they will offer it for free.

How it works is that someone posts up an e-mail to their local group offering something, and if you are interested you reply (to them directly). If you get to be the one who gets in first in the que you arrange a pick-up point with the person offering.

I am in a local group and the stuff that is offered is vary varied ranging from computers, to TV's, to furniture, plants, garden equipment, childrens items, and clothes. One guy even offered fresh fish one day. Sometimes it can be a bit quiet with not much being offered and other times it is very busy. The one thing is is that some things go very quickly so if you don't get in their quick you can miss the boat. It basically favours people who have reliable transport and can get out at fairly short notice.

I have gotten a few things (a computer monitor and an Aloe Vera plant) and have given a few things away through it.

Orla

Orla

Just a little silly but funny Freecycle tale. On the Freecyle group I am on someone has posted "Wanted: strap-on baby" !

I thought to myself, well that's asking for a bit much. And they don't just want any old baby, but a nice small and neat strap-on kind. :worried: :D

[For anyone who is worried, they were obviously not looking for a baby, just a strap-on sling to carry a baby. I am in a silly mood today so couldn't resist sharing that.]

Orla

camas

I get a kick out of reading the Freecycle list too. People give away and take the darndest things. I had about 50 outdated computer books that I was unable to sell or donate to charity, but someone on Freecycle snapped them right up and e-mailed me later to say how thrilled they were to have them. Made my day.

Orla

Yes Camas, some of the stuff is great. Then someone offers something and I think "no one will want that" but usually someone does.

I gave away an old broken totally unfixable laptop. I was delighted that someone might get some use out of it rather than it going straight to the dump (though they are supposed to be recycled I don't know how effective that is).

Orla

jace

Off the fence
Freecycle's great! It works in the UK too, and not having to take something you don't need to the dump is valuable for us housebound types. People don't always collect, even when they've made an appointment though.

There's techies getting their chips on Freecycle (or Greencycle, a UK version). Young families passing round the baby bits of short life usefulness. Students furnishing their flats. All sorts, but mostly nice people.