• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Formed pillows for neck issues

Strawberry

A while back there was a thread about neck issues, and someone posted a link to a pillow that they bought (possibly memory foam) that had helped them immensely. I had saved it, but a while back I noticed it wasn’t in my amazon wish list......

If you have an awesome pillow, let’s hear about it! I have no natural curve to my neck and my 20 year old custom fit pillow no longer does the job. Bonus points for no odor.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I use a pillow filled with buckwheat hulls. It's easy to shape for whatever support I need. I alternate between side and back sleeping and can quickly shape the pillow when I change position. I wear earplugs when I sleep which can lead to ear discomfort when side sleeping, but with this pillow it's easy to create a little depression in the pillow so that it doesn't push against my ear.

I also use it stacked on top of a regular, firm pillow for when I'm lying in bed during the day but need to support my head so I can use my laptop up against my legs with knees raised.

I've never noticed any odor from the pillow but I've had it for years so any original odor has probably dissipated.

Jyoti

I use a small rectangular pillow filled with rice, which is probably similar to the one @PatJ describes. I have a friend who sewed me a few 'covers' (though even I could have done that) and I fill them with rice and then stitch them closed. When finished, they are about 12" X 6"--just perfect to fit under the neck. I also use this pillow on top of a regular pillow during the day and at night. I lie on my side with my head on a down pillow with the rice pillow under my neck so there is no strain on it.

Timaca

I use a travel pillow that is memory foam. I put it in a pillow case. My neck is in the area where the pillow clasps together. My ear is in the hole. It works for me as my ears were getting sore from the pressure of sleeping on a regular pillow.

BrightCandle

I have been using a UTTU sandwich memory foam pillow for a while and its been reasonably good - https://www.amazon.com/UTTU-Sandwic...?dchild=1&keywords=UTTU&qid=1601843405&sr=8-1

You have two different sides depending on how much neck support and its height can be adjusted. It stinks quite a bit initially however since its memory foam and my usual issue of it being too hot is not really a problem, it is a little warmer than a normal pillow but not much.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Not sure if this was me but I posted this a while back https://www.amazon.com/Levelers-Pil...1&keywords=pillow+pedic&qid=1601846310&sr=8-1

Keep in mind they also have a Junior which works for very petite adults too. My mom uses that one. Her shoulders are tiny. However my shoulders are broader and I moved up to the one shown and like it better.

They make one even larger (which I don't see on Amazon). I bought it; left it in the package and tried it but it was too much. Thankfully the seller let me return it unopened like that but I would verify return policy if you think you want to try that.

JAH

I love this travel pillow.

https://www.nestbedding.com/products/the-easy-breather-travel-pillow

my neck hurts all the time; I have some kind of neck support whenever I’m in bed or sitting. (or slouching to be more accurate) I use this as almost my main pillow when I sleep. I also have their side sleeper pillow which I like, but I just need a small low loft pillow and this one is the best. It’s bigger than what you might think of as a travel pillow. There was some off gassing- I’m very sensitive to that- but I left it in another room for a few days and have been fine.

I also use every day a Cranial Cradle, recommended by a physical therapist, I love it, I have the green fairly hard plastic one- too tired to get you the linK- but it’s on Amazon. I use it every day to support my neck.

good luck,

JAH

I looked a lot at latex pillows, because I was afraid of off gassing but never found the perfect one. I bought one that I now use under my knees, if you’re thinking about latex, just keep in mind that they’re heavy. Definitely find one that you can adjust but taking out some of the latex. I’m thinking about getting a latex wedge for my bed. If anyone has experience with those, please let me know