• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

for women - endometriosis can cause bowel symptoms

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
Hi,

I was doing a search for information on endometriosis when I came across this article (see link below) talking about endometriosis and bowel symptoms. Since so many women with an ME/CFS diagnosis also have endometriosis, I thought I'd post the link below just in case it's helpful for someone out there.

http://menstruationresearch.org/2011/12/16/endometriosis-and-the-mysteries-of-pelvic-pain/

It's another avenue to pursue when trying to figure out what is causing bowel issues. There's probably a lot of undiagnosed endometriosis out there.

Calathea

It would help if we had more precise terms to use, as well. "Pelvic pain" is so vague as to be useless.

I do have reproductive system issues, but endometriosis isn't one of them. Hormonal problems of one sort or another seem to be common with ME.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
I do have reproductive system issues, but endometriosis isn't one of them. Hormonal problems of one sort or another seem to be common with ME.

Sorry to hear that you have problems, too. It's not fun.

I don't have any hormonal problems, thankfully, but I do have endometriosis (confirmed diagnosis, surgery to remove abnormal endometrial deposits in the pelvic cavity). I just wanted to mention that so that people know you can have one without having the other.

One theory about the cause of endometriosis (which may be wrong) is that it is an autoimmune disorder. One piece of supporting evidence is that women with endometriosis have much higher rates of other known autoimmune disorders (e.g., Sjgren's syndrome and rheumatoid arthritis). Women with endometriosis also had much higher rates of CFS:

Compared with expected rates in the general population of U.S. women, women in this survey had increased rates of chronic disease. CFS was more than a hundred times more common (4.60% vs. 0.03%, P<.0001), hypothyroidism seven times more common (9.6% vs. 1.5%, P<.0001), and FM was nearly twice as common (5.9% vs. 3.4%, P<.0001).

source = http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/442245 "Endometriosis Linked to Autoimmune, Other Chronic Diseases"

This makes me think that maybe the new theories about ME/CFS being an autoimmune disorder may be correct.

ukxmrv

I developed endometriosis after decades of ME. Just in some places though. Know if other people with endometriosis who do have it in the bowels though and the pain they suffer. Didn't realise it could cause constipation etc. Should have realised that of course...

One more thing to think about when trying to work out what our problems are.

My endometriosis was diagnosed with an ultrasound and then a MRI scan. Not sure how well they looked though at bowels.

merylg

Interesting topic, ahimsa. I never had it confirmed as endometriosis at the time, but at one stage I developed excruciating large bowel spasms of pain only in the mornings of Day 1 & Day 2 of MP bleeding. The pain was crippling. I eventually had a routine colonoscopy for other reasons (family history of bowel cancer & polyps). The Gastroenterologist found & removed a small rectal polyp. After that, no more monthly symptoms. This made me think it may have had an aspect of endometriosis.
The polyp was benign. I have since had 3 more surveillance colonoscopies, and one more polyp...this time with dysplastic changes.
Sorry for too much information!

Also interesting to hear there is a connection between Endometriosis & Autoimmune conditions & Endo. & CFS.

ramakentesh

I read a fascinating piece on five patients with endometriosis with CFS, three had NCS and two had POTS.

They found all had abnormally large and stretchy pelvic veins - like varicose veins but within their pelvis. Surgery eliminated their OI in all five cases.