• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

For those taking zinc and magnesium - what doses are you on?

As the title says, if you are taking zinc and magnesium - what daily doses are you on?.

Thanks

alice1

I can tolerate 50mgs of zinc and at least 800 mgs of magnesium.
Perhaps you can start low and see how you respond then work up.
Good Luck.

Thanks. I started on 600mg of magnesium and am fine on it and 22mg of zinc which i'm also fine on, but I was interested to see what doses others took. Does anyone know what the maximum doses for these 2 are?. I'd really like to up the magnesium as it seems to be helping with the cognitive stuff.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I was taking 25 mg of Zinc, but after a while food and my mouth tasted like metal! If this happens just cut back. Not sure how much mag. you can take. The main problem is diahrrea so if that happens you cut back, then slowly add again.

dannybex

Hi Tulip

I think it's gonna depend on how deficient you might be in these two minerals. You might need 50mgs, or you might need 20.

Are you taking a multi-mineral as well? I just mention that because sometimes taking higher doses of individual minerals for prolonged periods of time may cause an imbalance...

Zinc for example interacts with copper, and too much zinc can lower copper levels. Too much vitamin C can lower copper levels as well. Also magnesium and calcium work together, but also need other trace minerals in order to really work properly (like boron, vitamin d, vitamin K, strontium, etc....)

just my two pennies.

d.

leela

Regarding magnesium, the form you take can influence how much you can tolerate.
I find mag glycinate doesn't cause gastric side effects as much as others. There is also transdermal
magnesium "oil", which can be a nice way to get extra mag without affecting the digestive system.
Between the two (when I remember) I probably get about 800mg/day.

two more pennies from over here.

ukme

Be careful with zinc. i've managed to get the balance wrong and now have large deficiency in copper

aquariusgirl

i suspect some of us are loaded with copper, but it's not bioavailable or whatever teh term is.
I dumped a lot of copper when i tried the biofilm protocol. google peta cohen, biofilm for more info on that.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Yes, it is important to be balanced. I am guided by my Integrative doctors on my supplements. I get blood tests every 6 months.