• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

For the women, what are your periods like since become ill? Do they change with how you feel?

One of the very first signs for me that I was sick and that something was wrong with my body was I stopped getting my period! Even before I started feeling sick I knew something was wrong with my body when I stopped getting my period for a few months. These days it comes and goes but that always seems to correspond with how I am feeling. When I am feeling really sick/in a flare I wont get my period (which can last a couple months). As I start feeling a little more normal it will come back. Or I will still be feeling really unwell and it will come back and I know that it's a sign that I will start feeling better soon, and within a day I will start feeling better.

So I was wondering if anyone out there has a similar pattern? Or any other weird things that happen with their menstrual pattern? What has your period been like throughout your illness?

It seems like our periods (their presence, their absence, their heaviness and the symptoms they cause) can tell us a lot about our health. I was also told that often when a woman's body is sick, the first thing it will do is stop menstruating in order to preserve that energy so it can go towards other things like healing whatever is going on.

Same thing happened with me. Stopped getting my period. I had my hormones tested and my Prolactin levels were below the reference range. Perhaps a result of neuroinflammation?

Same thing happened with me. Stopped getting my period. I had my hormones tested and my Prolactin levels were below the reference range. Perhaps a result of neuroinflammation?
I thought for sure I would have a hormone that was to high or too low like you, but I also got all my hormones checked and all good. Never in my life have I wanted to get my period on a regular basis, ha...because when I dont its a sign that things are out of whack on my body.

Lieselotte

When I got hypothyroidism more than 10 years ago one of the most marked symptoms was the change with my period. It went from 6-7 days down to 3 seemingly overnight. Now that I have ME, it's more like 1 day and some spotting. It's definitely a sign that things are awry.

Pyrrhus

It is important to note that an exacerbation of symptoms before menstruation was noted in the original 1959 descriptions of ME.

For a more recent mention:

Onset Patterns and Course of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Chu et al., 2019)
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...hronic-fatigue-syndrome-chu-et-al-2019.84716/
Pregnancy, menopause, and menstrual cycles exacerbated many women's symptoms.

Note: There are also anecdotes from people who report that their symptoms are reduced during pregnancy, but that they might get worse after pregnancy...

P.S. And a comment from another discussion:
Another example of a leaky blood-brain-barrier occurs in menstruation.
Right before, and during menstruation, the lower level of estrogen causes the blood-brain-barrier to become slightly more permeable. Some have speculated that this might contribute to pre-menstrual syndrome.

Last edited:

Pyrrhus