• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Food sensitivities

Are you sensitive to the following foods (see below for details)

• Nuts

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Wheat/gluten

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • Lactose/milk/cheese

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • Nuts (at least one variety)

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Soy

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Salicylates

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Oats

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Fructose

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Corn

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Other (please specify in a post)

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Hi, I am curious about how widespread food sensitivities are.

Please only choose a particular option if you know for sure you have a sensitivity to a particular food. Conformation of sensitivities include: skin prick test, patch test, skin rash after eating, positive result on hydrogen breath test, serious swelling, asthma, diarrhea, vomiting, IgA or IgE serology. Confirmation through an elimination diet is also preferable.

Do not choose any options on the basis of IgG serology, or Vega testing.

I picked the top six. You have nuts on there twice though. I also put other.

I am probably sensitive to corn and fructose but I am unsure.

I believe I'm sensitive to berries, citrus, legumes, cane sugar, artificial sweeteners, dried onion, preservatives, and a lot more.

I am sensitive to hot foods and cold (frozen) foods too.

Known (tested+confirmed):
Wheat/Gluten, Egg, Soya, Pork, Chicken, Fish, Tomato, Carrot, Hazelnut, Peanut.

Testing via Allergy UK - just about the most useful testing I ever had; it has proved an extremely reliable guide, even in terms of indicating relative sensitivities.

I am basically left with beef, potatoes, green veg and fruit. Knowing this info made a radical difference, and has proved itself to be extremely reliable info; I knew 75% of these sensitivities when I took the test so I knew it was right immediately - it even got right the fact that I'm fine with milk and dairy - and it confirmed my additional suspicions about egg and fish also.

Now, when I deviate from my diet, I soon know about it, but so long as I have been basically on the beef and potatoes for a few months prior to that, it won't be too disastrous if I deviate occasionally. The effect is very clearly cumulative. Months of abstinence are needed to build up two or three days worth of tolerance. Similarly, from a chronic state, weeks of abstinence are needed before positive benefits begin to be observable.

In other words, the "sensitivity" is slight - much slighter than a true allergy - but somehow cumulative. Something accumulates much more quickly than it can be cleared; presumably it can no longer be cleared effectively; and so from those observations it seems likely that something(s) needed to produce the necessary digestive enzymes is deficient - and indeed those deficiencies and impaired pathways have been traced for me also, but not through the NHS of course...

leaves

nightshades here, and grains (although white rice I can tolerate somewhat now) and ehm.. well a lot of other stuff. :)

anne_likes_red

I ticked milk, soy and wheat (though I do best avoiding all grains, which includes corn I guess.)
The only other Biggie for me is MSG....oh wait and alcohol!
:)

amines salycilates benzoates nitrates nitrites, yeast extract, vinegar, anything fermented, preservatives, sulphites, many many foods.

Anne

Tammie

I am sensitive to so many foods it is insane.....too many to list; however, one that is a biggie for me that is not listed is MSG.