• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Food intolerance to Sorbitol

taniaaust1

I thought I'd get myself a treat which i hadnt had in a long while... apricot juice and ended up drinking 4 cups of it today only to then end up with MAJOR heart burn (burning all the way up and burping about twice per every minute) and refluxing into my mouth, lasting for many hrs. I also felt ill (the kind of ill one gets after a food intollerance.. along with my head feeling a bit off).

My first thought was.. have i an issue with fructose but on researching that, that didnt make sense as i quite often drink apple juice and dont end up how i was today and apples are much much higher in fructose then apricots. Then i saw that apricot juice contained Sorbitol so started to research that.

My research showed that Sorbitol is in diet soft drinks (i wont drink those as many of the diet products make me ill) and also in sugar free candies and sugar free chewing gum (that makes me ill and affects my head). I found out that Sorbitol is also in apples, plums, prunes, peaches .. so to try to confirm if my issue was Sorbitol, I started trying to find out if its in higher concentrations in apricots then in apples.

Then i finally found the answer i was seeking.. IT IS!! the apricots contain almost DOUBLE the amount of Sorbitol. Ive also remembered now that Sorbitol was one of the many things too in that gum i reacted too.

Finally worked out another thing that affects me :Retro smile: (im so happy as ive found my food intollerances often very hard to work out and one dont think about things like Sorbitol being in your fruit).

Maybe this post will help someone else who also has an issue with Sorbitol.

http://www.healthhype.com/foods-high-in-fructose-sorbitol-fructans-and-fodmaps.html

Carrigon

I can't have sorbitol or maltitol in anything. I get severe diarrhea and cramps. Any of those sugar alcohols kills me. I can't have anything diet. That and aspartame. Aspartame makes me feel like I've got a bladder infection. I have to stay away from anything that has any of that in it.

taniaaust1

I cant stand Aspartame.. to me it even tastes like poison. I can taste the slightest amount on it in things which others often say they cant notice.. and that yucky taste lasts and lasts. I cant see how that is even meant to make things taste nice.

outdamnspot

I'm in the crash from hell today. Only difference has been taking a different vitamin c with sorbitol as a filler. I felt manic for two days (I take time release before bed). Today I can barely move. Could it be sorbitol? I was mixing it with my regular Vitamin C. I was only taking 3 tablets of the sorbitol brand but even preservatives in a tablespoon of bottled lemon juice produced an intolerable crash