• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Food intolerance by a vet

JT1024

I've been reading the info posted on these links and I find it fascinating. I'm amazed that it has not gotten more attention!

My dogs (past and present) have suffered from illnesses that were attributed to being purebred yet the dietary changes in dog food make a lot of sense. I'm still reading what I've printed out from these links...

It makes me want to avoid wheat gluten, cow milk (casein), soy and corn! A new doc I'm seeing wanted to do a food allergy panel on me that was a blood test for 85 frequent food allergies. I've not yet been tested but most likely will do it.

My "take" from what I've read so far is the significance of the "glue" in glutens and casein in creating havoc in the small intestines where significant nutrients should be absorbed.

More reading to do but it does sound logical. Given my pea brain at this point... I'll give dietary restrictions additional attention going forward!

Thanks for the links!

~ JT

Catseye

It is most definitely worth reading, thank you for posting this. Finally, a detailed, complete report on the dangers of seemingly innocent food. Usually you have to read different articles to get everything he said. He summed it up quite nicely - eat these and die! He's absolutely right but since these poisons don't cause any immediate gastric distress, people dismiss them. And you have to admit, they are quite addicting. You try to tell the cocaine addict that cocaine is bad for him and he doesn't care - in the back of his mind he deems it worth it. Until, of course, TSHTF and the body suffers irreversible damage. Same with these. We grew up with these, for God's sake! Trying to think of them as poison when every restaurant in America (and half the world for that matter) lays out a tray of bread and butter as soon as you sit down . . . And I grew up eating those stupid Pilsbury "wrap me on the counter to open me" rolls! With margarine! And when squeeze Parkay was invented, I thought it was wonderful! Ugh!!! I've certainly paid the price for my ignorance.

Funny, when I first realized that I couldn't heal my CFS because I wasn't digesting these, I always thought of them as a temporary avoidance, that one day I would again be able to eat ice cream and bread and pasta. I used to dream about what I would cook up when my intestines healed. But now I've come to realize that with these poisons, avoidance has to be forever and it is adamant. Eating out is risky because you don't know what you're getting unless it's a grilled item and a steamed veggie side dish. And still . . . I've had them throw butter on the broccoli even after I've asked them not to.

I'm also glad you posted this because . . . I already know to watch for these things in my dog's food. But for some reason I have never made the same effort with my cats! I did for the cat with FLV, but not for the other healthy ones! I guess I'll start having them avoid these poisons now before they get sick. I'm going back to Shirley's wellness cafe to look up home preparation of dog and cat food.

BTW, they are going to have to squash this info in mainstream media. Can you imagine the extent of the class actions lawsuits and such that would result from our main staple foods being declared as poisons? Science is finally catching up with food. Just a little too late for us, though, too bad.

What else is there to eat? - some will ask. Easy, you use sprouted (for maximum health benefit and ease of digestion) nuts and seeds as your staple foods. Check out the yummy stuff at naturalzing and rawguru. Buy a dehydrator and you can make them yourself. You wouldn't believe how great tasting healthy food can be with a little effort.

brenda

Thanks for the resposes. Yes indeed, what the reaction would be if this information became mainstream - we are being poisoned. I read somewhere that if you want to know about health go to a vet and not a doctor. This guy is amazing.

I stopped gluten and dairy but developed a rice allergy so now I am grain free and just starting raw vegan. I am taking it slow as I do not want to have a major detox until I know my organs can handle it and have no support so bad days are very bad. So I am having a little cooked food like a bowl of vegetable soup and maybe I will still have eggs - I am letting my body guide me but yes as Catseye says, sprouts are excellent and easy and I am looking for a deydrator. Within 2 days of excluding all grains there has been an amazing respose especially in pain levels. I know I am going to regret not doing it sooner. Reading up on raw vegan info, I find it very interesting that they talk about the emotional effects of this diet - that is the detoxing and healing of emotions which I find fascinating. During my time of healing through diet alone, I have been experiencing this and it has been tough. It just shows how the body mind and soul are so connected.

IntuneJune

"If we view celiac disease not as an unhealthy response to a healthy food, but as a healthy response to an unhealthy food, classical CD symptoms like diarrhea may make more sense. Diarrhea can be the body’s way to reduce the duration of exposure to a toxin or pathogen, and villous atrophy can be the body’s way of preventing the absorption and hence, the systemic effects of chronic exposure to wheat. "

Sayer Ji

Have you read the post on wheat and the new perspective......started by JPV? It is awesome way of looking at celiac "disease." (I tried to include the link to the thread and then lost this thread. After I read a thread.....when I return to "what's new?" the thread no longer shows up in the list of threads...... I spent time finding it again, sometimes the "search" option works, sometimes not for me.)

In that thread there is a link to Sayer J's first article on the subject and I have copied and pasted the link below:

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/page/da...ves-celiac-disease-wheat-intolerance-sayer-ji

xchocoholic

Thanks for the resposes. Yes indeed, what the reaction would be if this information became mainstream - we are being poisoned. I read somewhere that if you want to know about health go to a vet and not a doctor. This guy is amazing.

I stopped gluten and dairy but developed a rice allergy so now I am grain free and just starting raw vegan. I am taking it slow as I do not want to have a major detox until I know my organs can handle it and have no support so bad days are very bad. So I am having a little cooked food like a bowl of vegetable soup and maybe I will still have eggs - I am letting my body guide me but yes as Catseye says, sprouts are excellent and easy and I am looking for a deydrator. Within 2 days of excluding all grains there has been an amazing respose especially in pain levels. I know I am going to regret not doing it sooner. Reading up on raw vegan info, I find it very interesting that they talk about the emotional effects of this diet - that is the detoxing and healing of emotions which I find fascinating. During my time of healing through diet alone, I have been experiencing this and it has been tough. It just shows how the body mind and soul are so connected.

Brenda,

From what I've read and experienced personally, our bodies need meat protein. I think it was Dr. Myhill that said our bodies can't utilize the proteins from other foods as readily as it can from meat. Something about the chemical breakdown of meats versus other sources ..

I know what you mean about coming to terms with our past when detoxing. I can think so much more clearly now than I've been able to my whole life and it's a great feeling ... I'm sure I'm a more thoughtful person now than I was before this ... I was ADHD and didn't know it. I just thought I was antsy ... duh !!!

I really like my Excalibur dehydrator. Raw guru had these on sale the last time I looked ... Mine is only 4 trays though and now I wish I had the 9 tray one. It would just be more convenient to make more at one time. I have some recipes if you're interested.

tc ... Marcia

brenda

June thanks for that very interesting article. I am more and more convinced by my recent excluding of all grains.

brenda

Marcia

I am going by my body for this - I know that raw meat is the answer BUT.....

Dr Myhill is not a vegan.....I know that some do not do the diet properly and get sick because they eat too much fat.....So many different views. Did you go vegan and get sick?

I was wondering whether to get the bigger dehydrator or not...is it too big for one or ok? Recipes...yes please!

IntuneJune

Brenda, I am a sleuth investigator with regards to gluten..... but I have not done anything about the night shade vegetables..... I am hoping the author of that article posts again.

What do you know about the other things. Also I am eating rice. I cannot imagine not eating all of the grains.

Right now my brain is in overload. I have a LOT of questions.

June

Oh Brenda, the allergist who found my wheat allergy.... after a period of time on my allergy free diet -- I have allergies to wheat, gluten, corn, citrus, soy..... he retested and rice showed up as an allergen...... I was obviously upset and his response was "this is not a true allergy, this is a result of your eating so much rice since you have been substituting rice for wheat products. " I don't know where this fits into the picture. How are you doing with your menues..... geezzzz would this not look like that diet... cannot remember the name.... that puts one's body into ketoacidosis..... consuming no carbs? OK, I am suffering from fried brain right now.

Thanks again!!!!!!

brenda

The same thing happened to me - I was eating too much rice. Big improvement these last few days since I stopped. I am managing better than I thought but I am still eating potatoes with a huge salad and avocados and apples. Today I finished off some mince I had. It's not too bad on the raw diet - there are plenty of carbs from fruits like bananas - the problem is not to eat too much fat from nuts etc. I am thinking of maybe having some grasses like buckwheat quinoa and millet but of course they will be cooked. I wantt o give the raw a real go first.

IntuneJune

I had testing by an acupuncturist which showed I should stay away from raw foods. I was a HUGH salad lover.

Also was a quinoa lover...... did not eat a lot of it....... but the last time I had it got EXTREMELY nauseated. My son vomited violently the few times he tried it.

We are baking bread and use millet flour in combination of others flours and now the millet is showing up on the radar screen as a problem.

Life should not be so difficult........June

brenda

So you are going by the opinion of one prectitioner regarding raw? Might be worth while to ask someone else for a second opinion. I would do that. As far as I know, you can heal from these intolerances in a few months if they are not too serious.

IntuneJune

So you are going by the opinion of one prectitioner regarding raw? Might be worth while to ask someone else for a second opinion. I would do that. As far as I know, you can heal from these intolerances in a few months if they are not too serious.

No, I am not going by the opinion of one practitioner. I did try staying away from raw foods for awhile, but I am not all that creative making a lot of changes at once. Also I did not notice any improvement when I did eliminate raw foods.

It was probably four years ago I was tested by the acupuncturist. I have only been to one, I did a series of treatments with mixed sublte results.

Sorry if I confused the focus of this thread by mentioning this.

June

brenda

No worries :D

I went slowly giving up wheat first. It took me a good while until I am here now and able to do raw - it has to be the right time I think.

IntuneJune

I have been wheat free GF for almost two years. Cold turkey. Very sick at that time. Eliminating gluten made a huge difference. I belong to a support group for those diagnose with celiac disease. I am never enticed to eat any gluten-containing food as I was SO sick from gluten..

But I do eat rice, and tomatoes, potatoes. I would HATE to give those up. June

brenda

As grains cause the most common problems, maybe try rice to see how you go? It was hard for me to give up the gluten free bread as I so love bread.

xchocoholic

Marcia

I am going by my body for this - I know that raw meat is the answer BUT.....

Dr Myhill is not a vegan.....I know that some do not do the diet properly and get sick because they eat too much fat.....So many different views. Did you go vegan and get sick?

I was wondering whether to get the bigger dehydrator or not...is it too big for one or ok? Recipes...yes please!

Hi ...

I posted some recipes in the community section under Healthy Paleo / raw recipes ... feel free to add to this if you'd like.

Yeck .. raw meat ... I'll eat sushi or my tuna or beef steak rare in the middle but that's as far as I go. Well raw oysters are ok too ...

The last I looked Dr. Myhill was recommending the Paleo diet to her patients. I'm sure she recommends more fats than Cordain recommends though. At least healthy fats since she knows about EFAs ... Hmmm, I'm not sure what Dogtor J recommends and he's the one who recommends a gluten, corn, dairy and soy free diet due to glutamates.

Rice is a grain and grains are known to be problematic for a lot of people. That's why so many people, especially celiacs or anyone who's gluten intolerant end up on the Paleo diet after they figure out that they aren't healing properly. This usually takes a few years of trying this or that ... lol ... it took me 2 years to get with it.

I can't get past needing REAL meat at every meal so I couldn't even try a vegan diet. I feel too weak without meat ... I felt lousy just eating eggs in the am and had to have a meat then too. Bacon, sausage or other processed meats won't work for me either. Lately, I've been eating eggs yolks over easy and pan fried scallops over a flax cracker for breakfast ... yum

For the difference in price, I'd get the larger dehydrator. UNLESS you read somewhere that it doesn't work as well. I only have the 4 tray one and it works great. It's just gotten too small for me. For instance, I'm making dehydrated flax crackers now. I'll get 36 good sized crackers out of this batch which will last me 18 days if I only use 2 a day and don't share these with anyone .... Most of the people I've let taste these like them.

TC ... Marcia