• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Food additive found in candy, gum could alter digestive cell structure and function

Titanium Dioxide is hardly ever used in the eu in any quantities in food and I've never heard of it being used in skimmed milk powder? I think if you used it in skimmed milk powder you would have to call it something like "coffee whitener" and avoid the word "milk". Confectionery does have different levels and types of colourings used....mainly for boiled sweets because of the high temperatures (all natural colours go brown).

Just avoid eating a bucket load of gum and boiled sweets is the message I think. Classic unsubstantiated scaremongering on the scientists part. Probably to get their name on a paper. Waste of research money imo.

antares4141

Interesting. I wonder if this also applies to titanium dioxide, which is commonly found in sunscreens.
I think the article mentioned sunscreens, and also uses the terms titanium dioxide and titanium oxide. Not sure weather they are interchangeable or different. Searching wiki I find they don't have a listing for titanium oxide so my guess they are referencing or mean titanium dioxide, when they say titanium oxide.

me/cfs 27931

Do you often ingest sunscreen?
My understanding is that the nanoparticles used in sunscreen are small enough to penetrate cells.

But other than the sunscreen on my lips, I'm not likely to ingest much titanium dioxide.

The article seems to switch back and forth from talking about titanium oxide to titanium dioxide. Confusing. I was just curious is all.

antares4141

Just avoid eating a bucket load of gum and boiled sweets is the message I think. Classic unsubstantiated scaremongering on the scientists part. Probably to get their name on a paper. Waste of research money imo.

I am dubious of a lot of the articles that get posted in these science journals even one's I post. But they did show physiological changes in cell culture models. I don't think I would go as far as to say scaremonger unless their is a lot of bad peer review or something like that. Without a lot more research I think it's safe to say it's something most don't need to worry about.
Me with all my gi issues I think I'm going to try to avoid it in the future anyways.

I am dubious of a lot of the articles that get posted in these science journals even one's I post. But they did show physiological changes in cell culture models. I don't think I would go as far as to say scaremonger unless their is a lot of bad peer review or something like that. Without a lot more research I think it's safe to say it's something most don't need to worry about.
Me with all my gi issues I think I'm going to try to avoid it in the future anyways.

Yeah that's cool....I just get fed up with medical scientists smearing the food industry saying things like

titanium dioxide, a common food additive found in everything from chewing gum to bread

And

Titanium oxide is a common food additive and people have been eating a lot of it for a long time

My point was that it is wrong to fan up the problem by tapping into people's mistrust of food manufacturers. It's actually exaggerated and a throw away comment, probably to get the grant in the first place. It should be quite easy for you to avoid this evil ingredient since its hardly used in anything.

I know this is an old post, but I'd like to say that it is not unsubstantiated scaremongering. If you have titanium in your body from dental implants, surgical staples, root canals, or metal plates, your immune system will try to get rid of the foreign object until the object is actually removed. If you ingest titanium dioxide you will feel like you are going to die. It is generally called titanium staples allergy.

27 years ago i had an ovarian cyst removed and they closed with titanium surgical staples ... they are still in my body ... I've been sick for 24 years now. I have a dozen autoimmune diseases. My immune system reacts to everything at this point … even water.

Here in the usa titanium dioxide is in everything … not just sunscreen.

It is a real problem for some people and it is NOT easy to avoid. Once I started looking for it in the inactive ingredients on the labels of my vitamins and supplements I found it in almost all of them. It is very hard to avoid.