• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fluoroquinolone Toxicity and/or CCI?

Swim15

The more I’ve been reading about CCI the more I’ve wondered about this in relation to a course of Cipro I took two and a half years ago.

I searched the forum but I didn’t see much - has fluoroquinolone toxicity been discussed much here?

From what I’ve seen fluoroquinolone toxicity has an enormous number of symptoms that coincide with ME/CFS and also a possible cause of CCI

Hip

I searched the forum but I didn’t see much - has fluoroquinolone toxicity been discussed much here?

It's been discussed quite a bit, and there are several threads — see this search.

There are anecdotal reports of ozone therapy rectifying fluoroquinolone toxicity syndrome (aka fluoroquinolone-associated disability). See this report for example. This study suggests ozone may degrade fluoroquinolones.

Swim15

Yeah at this point I don’t think I’ve got any issues with current toxicity but I’m curious if it’s caused some sort of CCI or other issues because of so much pain/stiffness in my neck that seems to correlate some with symptoms.

Thanks for the link Hip!

Also didn’t forget your PM - been traveling and hard to answer on my phone. Appreciate your time always!

Jyoti

I am afraid I don't have anything definitive to add to this, @Swim15, but I was given a course of Cipro for the pneumonia that seems to have been the precursor to ME for me. I don't think I began with CCI, but I am pretty sure that pathology in my cervical spine is somehow connected to the worsening of my symptoms over time. I too have often wondered if Cipro was part of the problem. It makes some sense, doesn't it?