• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Flu while having CFS

I have had CFS for over ten years and I recently got the flu and I’m on day 10 and it feels like it’s getting worse than better. Is this normal for people with CFS because I haven’t experienced this over the years of having this illness. Thanks is for your time.

Moof

So sorry to hear you're feeling really ill. It is fairly normal, at least in my experience – though luckily I've only had real 'flu once (been careful to get the jab every year since). It kept me confined to bed for two weeks, and because it also induced a bit of a crash, I was off work for a good bit longer than that. Some 'flu symptoms are very like ME symptoms, and it was hard to tell when the immune response to the virus morphed into an ME flare. I did recover completely, though, and hopefully you will too.

Meantime – rest, fluids, paracetamol, more rest, and being kind to yourself.

Shoshana

Northern USA
Hi @Ryan7817
I am sorry you are having it that way! I don't know the answer to your question, but it seems like it could be more wearing on our bodies and our body systems, overall.

However, perhaps that is long enough, and you should get checked,
to be sure you have not gotten a secondary infection? Especially if you have fever still, and any worsening symptoms?
Flu could lead to pneumonia or other difficulties. I hope you have been able to have plenty of hydration.

Sarahloudobby

I recently had a bad cold with really heavy sinuses, still recovering now over two weeks later 😥 it definitely hits me harder than other members of my family

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I have had CFS for over ten years and I recently got the flu and I’m on day 10 and it feels like it’s getting worse than better. Is this normal for people with CFS because I haven’t experienced this over the years of having this illness. Thanks is for your time.

Get a yearly flu vaccination next time.

Rufous McKinney

I tend to get things less often, probably because of not going out as much...

When I had coworkers- I can testify to getting similar illnesses and me, with ME I'd be so much more sick than the rest. Symptoms I tend to now keep largley in abeyance get VERY acute.

Rest and feel better soon...I know its really hard. Hugs.:hug:

LaurelW

I got the flu about four years ago after not having it for more than 20 years. It lasted an entire month, so now I get the flu shot every year, in spite of the fact that it throws me back for about a week. By that, I mean increased fatigue and achiness. But it's better than being sick for a whole month.

ebethc

So sorry to hear you're feeling really ill. It is fairly normal, at least in my experience – though luckily I've only had real 'flu once (been careful to get the jab every year since). It kept me confined to bed for two weeks, and because it also induced a bit of a crash, I was off work for a good bit longer than that. Some 'flu symptoms are very like ME symptoms, and it was hard to tell when the immune response to the virus morphed into an ME flare. I did recover completely, though, and hopefully you will too.

Meantime – rest, fluids, paracetamol, more rest, and being kind to yourself.

ditto. I get a flu shot every year, but get the flu anyway... I have a hard time telling the difference between the flu and a CFS crash at first, but eventually, I recognize it as the flu... BTW - when I describe CFS to ppl, I tell them it's like having the flu and jet lag at the same time!

I believe the flu shot lowers the intensity of the flu, so that's why I still get it ... I feel like I have 50% of the flu, which makes the shot worth it... Not sure if it lessens the duration, though.... I didn't get the flu shot one year b/c I figured, what's the point if I get the flu anyway, right? Well, the flu I got that year was much worse so now I get the flu shot.

A lot of CFS'ers say that they don't get viruses at all... I wonder if that group has a lot of auto-antibodies (immune system in overdrive)? I don't have any so far... I feel like my immune system is under-active, vs over-active.

starlily88

I have CFS/ME for a long time, never had the flu or the vaccines.
Then I got the flu about 5 years ago. My dr had the pharmacy deliver Tamiflu.
I felt like I was dying, couldn't stand being that sick. But I felt much worse on day 7 than day one.
I had it for one month - and I still could not go out for several weeks after that.
Having ME makes the flu so much worse.

Having said that - I would call a dr, or go to Urgent care - because you might have a secondary infection like a bacteria which could be pneumonia or bronchitis. Take your temperature. Having the flu may make it impossible to get a chest x-ray this week - but at least your dr can prescribe something till you get the x-ray or exam.
Good luck, get well and CALL you doctor first thing Monday!!