• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Flu toxic feeling

Hey all. I’m in need of serious help with this symptom. My main symptom is the malaise. I’m not talking about fatigue or exhaustion or low energy. I’m talking about the sick flu feeling which gets worst sometimes by making me feel toxic like my whole body is toxic and hot. It’s an all over unwell sensation. It is deeply unrelenting and borderline unbearable. If anybody has any advice or solution, I will be very grateful. Please!

ljimbo423

My main symptom is the malaise. I’m not talking about fatigue or exhaustion or low energy. I’m talking about the sick flu feeling which gets worst sometimes by making me feel toxic like my whole body is toxic and hot. It’s an all over unwell sensation.

This is one of my most consistent symptoms too. Comes and goes throughout most days. Although it's usually fairly mild, it's very frustrating, annoying and makes it much harder for me to do the things I need to.

I've found things like branched chain amino acids, vitamin B-1 and alpha lipoic acid help with energy and PEM but I don't think they do much for my flu-like symptoms.

I hope somebody else has found something that helps them with these symptoms and they can chime in.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Haru - many years ago my liver was overloaded with toxins. It left me feeling fluish, tired, sick and poisoned. My chiropractor who does muscle testing found the problem and it was apparently related to a job I'd had many years before where I had heavy exposure to acetone. I did a liver detox under his supervision - it took a month and was a bit rough but afterwards my digestion was much better and I felt better. I also learned I was low in stomach acid and had to start taking betaine HCL with meals, and also added in milk thistle for liver support.

My chiro was invaluable, helped me with many different things which doctors could do nothing for.

Wolfcub

I had the same feelings from day one, and they came on very very suddenly. I had been fine, fit and well before.
I took herbal stuff, but nothing quite "got it". But I did find times when it suddenly lifted (not related to anything I'd done/not done/taken/eaten/not eaten etc. ) It seemed to have a mind of its own.

Gradually the days when it didn't happen became more frequent. But I would still feel it if I had pushed myself too hard, got over-tired, had been to any medical appointment (always exhausting) etc. So I could definitely relate it to crashing or over tiredness. It just feels like I'm coming down with flu (again!!) But it isn't, and it starts to pass after a few days.
I haven't felt that distinct feeling for a little while now (had other things instead!!) But I certainly do know what you mean.

Wolfcub

I will just add....(sorry, my memory is missing a few pieces!) that when my stuff started in 2018, I experimented with Astragalus root tea 3 times a day, and definitely did feel some improvement on that for a few weeks. It smoothed out the "just coming down with flu" sensation. It's quite a gentle immune-supportive herb, and tastes nice.

But I ran out of it, so had a gap, and when I started it again there didn't seem to be the same obvious benefit. But it still could have helped.

Mary

Moderator Resource
did this relieve that toxic feeling?
Yes and no - it solved my digestive issues (which had gotten pretty bad), but I would still have periods of feeling toxic. I'd learned what they were from the frequent testing by my chiropractor, without whom I would have been lost.

Some years later I discovered that glycine, inositol and glutamine all helped get my detox pathways working properly, and I almost never have detox symptoms any more. I'd taken gelatin for sleep, knowing it was high in glycine, and was hit with a severe detox reaction - very tired, spacey, etc., the usual. Muscle testing showed that it was actually good for me - otherwise I would have stopped it in a heartbeat - but in very small doses. Over a period of 6 months I was able to work up from a very small dose, to a point where it doesn't cause detoxing any more - and I no longer react to everything in sight, a huge improvement.

So first I did the liver detox when my digestion was incredibly bad, and then some years later worked with glycine, inositol and glutamine - and now I almost never get detox reactions. I used to react badly to apple cider vinegar, cayenne, anything that was described as having a "cleansing" reaction, and I don't any more.

Davsey27

Hey all. I’m in need of serious help with this symptom. My main symptom is the malaise. I’m not talking about fatigue or exhaustion or low energy. I’m talking about the sick flu feeling which gets worst sometimes by making me feel toxic like my whole body is toxic and hot. It’s an all over unwell sensation. It is deeply unrelenting and borderline unbearable. If anybody has any advice or solution, I will be very grateful. Please!

Can be many factors that can lead to this

Mold avoidance and experimenting with changing environments has helped some