• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Flagyl Antibiotic Query

Tembo

Australia
Thanks Dannybex:) I agree with your thoughts on the good bugs bad bugs too. Such a bum the feeling didnt last. I developed a severe allergic reaction on day 10 of the Flagyl and was unable to take anymore.

CBS thank you so much for all that great info - i really appreciated it :) Given me lots to think about.

sleepy237

Wow, I just had bad side effect on this drug....head jerking and seeing different colours (hallucinations). It seemed to hit my nervous system in a toxic way :( Wish it had not because it sounds like it has some great benefits. Just needed to add my experience to the list to promote awareness. The side effects were pretty instant (within hours) so I discontinued the tablets. Glad it is working for some of you guys. Hugs

Wow, I just had bad side effect on this drug....head jerking and seeing different colours (hallucinations). It seemed to hit my nervous system in a toxic way :( Wish it had not because it sounds like it has some great benefits. Just needed to add my experience to the list to promote awareness. The side effects were pretty instant (within hours) so I discontinued the tablets. Glad it is working for some of you guys. Hugs

Oral Vancomycin might be an option for you (Vancocin). It also kills anaerobic bacteria in the gut but it does not cross the gut/blood barrier, so no systemic action (for that it has to be taken IV) or adverse drug reactions. You will still get die-off though and can get reactions from that too (even severe). It is expensive though, a few $$$$ thousands for a month, so only affordable with insurance. Also, it does not kill parasites, which Flagyl does as well.

No one has mentioned this yet- Flagyl also has been found to kill the 'cryptic' or non-metabolizing phase of Chlamydia pneumoniae, a intracellular parasitic bacteria that has been associated with CFS/ME amongst other things. Killing a bunch of it en mass, i.e. from a high dose of Flagyl, will make you really sick, but also liberate a bunch of energy otherwise used by the Cpn. You might take a look at www.cpnhelp.org to see if any of it looks familiar to you in terms of symptoms and reactions.

Tembo

Australia
Sleepy - sorry you werent able to continue the Flagyl - I got such a rush from it. Shame it didnt last though.

Karin- that Vancomycin sounds really interesting - I experienced 3 days of almost complete recovery after the Flagyl treatment - after over a decade of illness - but it dissapeared as quick as it came. Im going to ask my doc about this drug you spoke you - thank you:)

Jimk- do you know how they test for this Clamydia Pneumoniae? Its symptoms are soo cfs like arent they. Is it a sexually transmitted disease though?

leaves

bump. That is so interesting Tembo, I had a similar experience 2 years ago, but with plain old penicillin and a lot of probiotics. I was cured of all my symptoms for a week. Penicillin also targets anaerobics. After going out drinking with friends my symptoms all came back. Weird eh? How are you now?

I went on Flagyly after a parasitic infection a few years back. I didn't have any bad reactions to it -- but, I was also already SO SICK from the parasite that I probably wouldn't! But, if you drink any amount of alcohol on Flagyl, you will vomit. Your doctor/pharmacist should have told you that.

Also, sometimes when I have the flu, I notice I actually feel better. I have hypothesized (no evidence for this fact), but because you are laid up in bed for a week - you are actually resting more than you normaly do on a "healthy" day. During the flu, I usually have one or two energy days -- and the crash -- because my body is technically happy for resting for a week. Maybe being so sick from medicine, was actually good for your CFS, because it forced you to rest?

Just a random thought...no scientific basis. :)

penny

I had a similar experience Tembo; after a week on Cipiro at what I think was a pretty high dose (for what the doc thought was a bladder infection), I had two wonderful days where I was full of energy and felt genuinely good. Such an amazing feeling, too bad it was so short lived!

I actually found this thread b/c my doc prescribed me Rifaximin recently and I was curious what the community's experience with it had been. I'm having some difficulty getting the rx filled, as I believe CBS mentioned it apparently requires some work on the doctors part to get insurance to cover it, but I'll report back if/when I have taken it for a while.

penny

Not much to report. Insurance wouldn't cover the Rifaximin, so just paid out of pocket. About two days in I had a 'good' day where I felt like I could do a bit more. Nothing miraculous and not terribly unusual. The rest of the ten day course seemed pretty unremarkable.

After taking this my doc had me add pancreatic enzymes (didn't notice much) and then when I didn't show any improvement start supplementing the amino acids I was low in (glutamine, serine, glycine and lysine). This did seem to help, first with cognition and now maybe (knock on wood) with a bit of increased physical functioning. Just adding this last bit b/c the doctor implied that the supplementation may not have had as much chance to work without taking the antibiotic first.

Tia

Been on Flagyl several times, did nothing for me, just gave me a weird taste in my mouth.

citybug

What dose did people who take xifaxan take? I was hoping for a short course, it is so expensive, but these studies use 1200mg (would that be 2 200mg pills, 3X day?) for 7 days. Is that much necessary, or can the traveler's dose for 3 days help us?

One doctor is advising it, but I've been on antibiotics lately and am afraid of c difficile. Does anyone have a good test they do to check for that or the campo if doing courses of this?

Thankyou.