• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fixing Leaky Gut Helps ME/CFS, and Sometimes Achieves Full Remission

hapl808

I started drinking a lot of kefir, but after awhile realized it was worsening my tachycardia (a not unknown histamine response). So I'm back to more limited probiotic use.

GlassCannonLife

I have over the past year definitely improved my gut function and coinciding with that is an improvement in my condition, potentially incidentally because I really cant prove causation I have done too many things in parallel. I have been doing a lot of probiotics of many different varieties but when I started doing inulin or fos powder that I started to get some digestion improvement. Then I added kefir, kombucha and kimchi and I am fairly certain the kefir helped, the other two commercially bought I am not convinced by, missing them doesn't matter.

Then last week I went on a big sibo and sifo killing spree based out of a book called super gut as well as making my own yoghurt on very particular variants of bacteria purposefully to clear my small intestine. It's been kind of bad, herx response to it all basically but learning I can take any probiotic and ferment milk with it and inulin to amp the bacteria dose up has been interesting and my intake now is 100s of billions CFUs daily and my guts are almost normal even if I feel poisoned by it all. Not sure if it's lasting benefits or just temporary and I am still very much playing and having issues with fermented milk from a yoghurt maker (keeps splitting) but there is something quite interesting about the approach on making yoghurt like things out of whatever bacteria you want in a 20 quid device.

What book was that sorry, can you give a little more detail please?

Also, how are you making them with specific strains?

BrightCandle

What book was that sorry, can you give a little more detail please?

Also, how are you making them with specific strains?

The book is Super Gut https://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Gut-Four-Week-Reprogram-Microbiome-ebook/dp/B09FDDVJQD/ref=sr_1_1

The super gut "yoghurt" recipe it suggests is
1. BioGaia Gastrus which contrains L. reuteri DSM 17938 and ATCC PTA 6475
2. Lactobacillus Gasseri
3. Digestive Advantage containing Bacillus Coagulans GBI-30, 6086

10x of the tablets of 1 and then just 1 tablet of each of the others and crush it all into a powder. Then add 2 tablespoons of whole milk or single cream and 2 tablespoons of inulin and mix thoroughly. Then 950ml of milk or single cream and into a yoghurt maker at 41 C for 36 hours.

I have also been using another yoghurt based on B. Longum and Yakult, also with similar quantities of milk, inulin and temperature.

My first batches of the super gut yoghurt split , my third onwards has not but its more fermented milk than a nice creamy yoghurt. Herx reaction is now gone and I am finishing up the SIBO/SIFO drugs this week so will be left with just the yoghurts.

GlassCannonLife

The book is Super Gut https://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Gut-Four-Week-Reprogram-Microbiome-ebook/dp/B09FDDVJQD/ref=sr_1_1

2. Lactobacillus Gasseri

10x of the tablets of 1 and then just 1 tablet of each of the others and crush it all into a powder. Then add 2 tablespoons of whole milk or single cream and 2 tablespoons of inulin and mix thoroughly. Then 950ml of milk or single cream and into a yoghurt maker at 41 C for 36 hours.

I have also been using another yoghurt based on B. Longum and Yakult, also with similar quantities of milk, inulin and temperature.

My first batches of the super gut yoghurt split , my third onwards has not but its more fermented milk than a nice creamy yoghurt. Herx reaction is now gone and I am finishing up the SIBO/SIFO drugs this week so will be left with just the yoghurts.

That's very cool, thank you. I'm struggling very badly with covid atm so I'll look into it more later. Any thoughts on a dairy free version? I don't have dairy.

BrightCandle

That's very cool, thank you. I'm struggling very badly with covid atm so I'll look into it more later. Any thoughts on a dairy free version? I don't have dairy.

He actually does have dairy alternatives in the book as well, IIRC he suggests coconut milk. I'll look it up and let you know what the recipe adjustment is (so you can avoid buying the book).

Last edited:

GlassCannonLife

@Hip I recall you said you have already fixed your leaky gut now (maybe in the glutamine suppository discussion thread?), how did you end up fixing it in the end? Did fixing it improve your ME/CFS?

maryb

iherb code TAK122

2. Lactobacillus Gasseri

so to make further batches of this super yoghurt do you just use a couple of tablespoons of the previous batch as a starter? Or start again as the first?

Hip

@Hip I recall you said you have already fixed your leaky gut now (maybe in the glutamine suppository discussion thread?), how did you end up fixing it in the end? Did fixing it improve your ME/CFS?

I don't know that my gut is leaky, as I have never been tested. Though leaky gut is common in those with IBS-D, which I have.

I did try the leaky gut protocol detailed in this post at the beginning of this thread for 6 months. This coincided with a period of substantial improvement in my ME/CFS; but I suspect that improvement was down to other things I was trying at the time, like the high dose selenium protocol.

Nanni

Oh thanks, that's very kind of you!
I’m researching leaky gut and came upon this thread. Recently I made an unusual discovery that I thought I’d pass on. I eat a lot of goat yogurt and have been concerned about the dairy content even though goat yogurt is better than cow milk I decided to cut back and replace it with coconut yogurt . But my health started going downhill, my stomach got worse. By way of studying Long Covid and Cell Activation Syndrome I started eliminating certain foods. Surprisingly the coconut yogurt was the biggest offender. After eliminating it I was immediately better. Not a food you’d think would be a problem but that’s often what we hear from each other.

Starsister

@Nanni @Rufous McKinney yes, coconut has caprylic acid that is good for gut.. I’ve taken Ecolological Formulas brand called Caprystatin for many years (originally given to me by Chinese Medicine Dr) It has helped manage my chronic yeast and leaky gut. I wonder if the yogurt contains sugars.. coconut is full of sugar and sugar feeds the yeast that creates leaky gut. Coconut OIL has MTCs and caprylic acid so I take that also.. obviously contains no sugars.

GreenEdge

I think it largely depends on how well you can completely eliminate all plant matter and avoid contaminants:
  • For example sausages often contain spices and fillers like corn starch to make them tastier. Even the skin/casing can be plant based. What you want is plain sausages made from just beef or lamb and salt in a natural casing.
  • Bone broth is a good idea. Bone broth does contain a lot of collagen, vitamins, and minerals. Look for a premium bone broth concentrate with no additives. Beware of cheaper products.
  • You won't be needing supplements. Another source of contaminants (eg. veggie capsules and fillers).
I saw some benefit in the 1st month but it never completely resolved until I excluded pork and sausages months later. If I'd known how strict I needed to be and what pitfalls to avoid - I would have got more benefit sooner.

Can the Carnivore Diet Treat Autoimmune Diseases?
If they have a patient with an autoimmune condition, then there is no question that he or she will need to be on a full animal-based high-fat diet with just meat, fat, and organ meat.

hapl808

I think it's variable as far as the conditions it helps (like most things). I did it for a couple months - no bacon, sausage, chicken, etc. Just beef and water (started with cheese as well but eliminated it). It was interesting but didn't fix my ME/CFS issues.

GreenEdge

This treatment method sent 93% of autoimmune diseases into remission
Center for Restorative Medicine
Dr. Steven Gundry is the founder of the Center for Restorative Medicine at the International Heart Lung Institute in Palm Springs, CA. His 40-year career includes thousands of surgeries, patented medical technologies, and dozens of board memberships.

For the past two decades, his focus has been a revolutionary (or should I say evolutionary…) nutrition plan that has–no exaggeration–sent thousands of patients into remission from hundreds of diseases and unexplained health issues. It sounds too good to be true, but here are the findings Dr. Gundry presented at the the 2018 Scientific Sessions from a recent clinical trial.

Background
Autoimmune disease is on the rise and has been for decades. Women are twice as susceptible as men. (1) Researchers remain unsure of the exact interplay among environmental, genetic, hormonal, and nutritional factors that trigger the body to attack itself. For those lucky enough to receive a diagnosis, relief often comes in the form of immunosuppressant drugs, which leave the body vulnerable to further attack.

Lectins
Dr. Gundry has theorized in his book, The Plant Paradox, that the standard American diet–high in grains, sugar, and unfamiliar lectins–plays a major role in triggering autoimmune disease by:
  • disturbing proper function of the gut microbiome (2)
  • breaching the protective barrier of the small intestine (3)
  • mimicking bodily tissue to “trick” the immune system (4)
With this theory in mind, Dr. Gundry and his team set out to develop a nutrition plan that would eliminate most or all lectins responsible for these three effects. The diet, now called the The Plant Paradox Protocol, is the still-evolving result of hundreds of clinical success stories. Dr. Gundry puts his theory to the test by examining whether certain dietary components activate proven autoimmune biomarkers of inflammation in his patients’ blood.

Autoimmune Patients on the Diet
Dr. Gundry tracked 102 consecutive patients with proven markers of autoimmune activity (rheumatoid factor, antinuclear antibodies, etc…) and biomarkers of inflammation. Patients showed signs and symptoms of:
  • rheumatoid arthritis
  • Sjögrens
  • Crohns
  • Colitis
  • Scleroderma
  • Mixed Connective Tissue Disease
Patients eliminated most dietary lectins, including grains, beans, legumes, peanuts, cashews, nightshades, squashes, and casein A-1 dairy products. They supplemented with probiotics, prebiotic fiber, and polyphenols. Every three months, the following biomarkers for inflammation were measured from blood samples:
  • high sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs-CRP)
  • tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha)
  • interleukin 6 (IL-6)
  • fibrinogen
  • myeloperoxidase
  • autoimmune markers
95 of 102 patients achieved complete resolution of autoimmune markers and inflammatory markers within 9 months. The other 7 patients had reduced markers, and not a single patient had no changes. 80 of the patients weaned off all immunosuppressants and other prescribed medications, with no rebound effects.