• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fired for being sick

I just told my employer that I was very sick and may need to take some time off for doctors appts and possibly might not be able to come back to work and they decided to terminate my employment.
Very non compassionate people...

CreativeB

I'm so sorry to read about the lack of support from your employer. Unfortunately too many out there don't care the minute it impacts on their performance/profits

Sending hugs to you :hug::hug:

Dechi

Terminating an employee because of sickness should be illegal. I don’t know if you want to fight this (maybe you weren’t happy in this place) but if so, you probably have a case.

Should be illegal or is illegal?
Mostly trying to focus on healing so I don't know if its worth the energy, but might look into that.

Dechi

Should be illegal or is illegal?
Mostly trying to focus on healing so I don't know if its worth the energy, but might look into that.

Well, it’s illegal where I live but I can’t say for your neck of the woods. You would have to check with an attorney. I hope you got a package at least.

Ill have to check more into it. Its utah which is a work at will state so probably not illegal. Also no packages are required here. Sounds like not many benefits for workers here

Dechi

Ill have to check more into it. Its utah which is a work at will state so probably not illegal. Also no packages are required here. Sounds like not many benefits for workers here

I’m sorry about that. It’s a shame.

Retaliation is an easier claim to make. Might have a chance if you have called in sick or done something before. Might be worth a chance since it could provide you some money for medical bills. Good luck.

prioris

This doesn't surprise me at all. In most cases, it is never a good idea to admit any weakness to any authority. Some people are fortunate and have understanding managers. A manager can appear nice on the outside but turn very dark if you expose weakness. Unless you have some inner sense that you can feel out the true nature of the person, one should not assume compassion.

lafarfelue

Really sorry to hear this.

I hope you might be able to find some kind of legal way to at least gain some financial benefit from your ex-employer.

I also hope you'll be alright for some kind of disability pension or other employment?

*shake my head* Oh that's horrible, friend. I hope you can prove that firing was unwarranted. There's a lot of unfairness in the world. It makes me said. I send you good vibes.