• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Finnish researchers have found a treatment for incurable muscle disease - it can also help with Alzheimer's

lyran

NAD has been in the news and is quite heavily researched right now. This is one article I found in local newspaper today.

Suomalaistutkijat löysivät hoidon parantumattomaan lihassairauteen – voi auttaa myös Alzheimeriin

I Google translated it:

Academy researcher Anu Wartiovaara's research team found that high doses of vitamin B3 helped with a muscle disease that had not been treated before. "Metabolism is the hottest topic in the next decade," says Wartiovaara.

We are now nearing the big one. High doses of vitamin B3 can be helpful in many age-related illnesses. Finnish researchers have already shown that this applies to a rare muscle disease. At best, a person who was previously only able to walk hundreds of meters walked miles after receiving the vitamin. - We were able to fix our metabolism. It was significant because there has been no treatment for the disease before, says Academy Professor Anu Wartiovaara. Studies in humans suggest that benefits may also be obtained in Parkinson's disease. Based on animal studies, it appears that help can also be obtained for degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's, some cancers, and cardiovascular disease. It can also help with longevity - there’s a lot of research going on about that, too. Help can be found in the right amount of vitamin B3. - I often call this metabolic bypass surgery, metabolic bypass surgery. That we can re-direct the flow of life, he says in his bright office at the University of Helsinki's Biomedicum. - Of course, if the disease has already led to the death of cells, for example, no metabolic repair will bring them back, he adds.

The basic pattern is thus simple, as long as you first understand what cellular metabolism is. Wartiovaara compares it to a kaleidoscope, a children's telescope, in which the parts of a cell are organized into intricately beautiful, moving patterns. The disease changes the order in the tissue. Put the pieces in a new position. - We want to know what these regulators are that are turning the kaleidoscope pattern back into a meaningful, healthy form for the body, Wartiovaara describes. Vitamin B3 is converted in the body to the nad molecule, which is at many intersections in the pattern. It helps transport important substances to the right places in the cell. In degenerative diseases, Nad is really consumed because it is consumed by tissue repair. Then it will not be able to fulfill its role as a regulator. But cellular metabolism can be restored to balance and symptoms reduced when a person is given the right amount of Nad, which the tissues make from vitamin B3.

In the second year, Wartiovaara and his research team made two major breakthroughs. Together with Eija Pirinen, she published a study showing that vitamin B3 administration increased nad levels in the body and strengthened muscles and reduced liver obesity in patients with rare mitochondrial muscle disease. Another revolution was the laboratory test. The biochemist of the research group, Lilja Euro, succeeded in developing a method that can be used to measure concentrations with a simple blood test. This is a big step and will make nad tests available to doctors and patients soon. Previously, nad levels in the body could only be reliably analyzed with a € 1 million research device, and no tests were available to doctors. - We are now bringing a tool to researchers to find out in which diseases the nad metabolism has changed and B3 treatment can be useful, Wartiovaara explains. Wartiovaara, along with some members of her team, set up a company, Nadmed, to develop a blood sample test for use by doctors and researchers. He is the Chairman of the Board but does not participate in any practical activities. The company is run by Jari Närhi, a skilful CEO.

The CE quality mark has just been obtained and the test is already in use in many places around the world. In the autumn, the activities will probably be much more extensive. A study has already been published in Norway stating that the administration of Nad is a promising treatment for Parkinson's disease. - There is a lot of cooperation going on in many directions, but I don't want to talk about research until there are results, Wartiovaara says. It is still too early to say what diseases they could help with. Based on animal experiments and disease models, it can be assumed that nad data can also be used to treat, for example, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, Alzheimer's and some cancers. A joint project between the University of Helsinki and Hus is investigating the effect of Nad on long covid. Wartiovaara is happy to have received results that will directly benefit patients. - My mission in life is that this mechanistic research of ours can be used to diagnose and treat patients, that's what I want to do in the work of a molecular doctor. In the same breath, he reminds us that more information is needed.

- I'm careful, I want to see and analyze first. It is known that many cancers have DNA repair damage, the repair of which consumes Nad. However, activation of mitochondria is a disadvantage in some cancers. It's not just that everyone eats vitamin B3. - It is a medicine among others and should only be eaten if levels have dropped. The effective doses are really high. For muscle disease research, Wartiovaara chose Nad as the source of a vitamin that has been used for more than 50 years for high cholesterol. Patients were given the same amount of vitamin B3 as before to lower their cholesterol, compared to the normal recommended intake of less than 20 milligrams. A clear effect was seen in patients with mitochondrial disease as early as four months. - I do not think that such large doses are needed, and we are now investigating which dose would be sufficient in mitochondrial diseases. Individual differences may also be required. A blood test allows for targeted treatments.

They are also of international interest. The impact on longevity is being intensively studied, especially in the United States. If a person eats sparingly, the nad concentration rises, and in animal models, fasting has been found to prolong life. High nad, in turn, makes the cell function like fasting. - There's a lot of hype around here. There are nad gurus who have 100,000 followers on Twitter and sell various Nad add-ons without any knowledge of the effects, Wartiovaara says. Wartiovaara herself assumes that his research primarily serves medicine. - And then if it seems that nad can be useful for some problems related to normal aging, then of course for consumers as well. But from medicine, the inconveniences of hours. Many pharmaceutical factories are developing their own Nad enhancers, and Nasa is testing them for astronauts. The niacin used by the Wartiovaara group causes e.g. flushing and tingling of the skin. Wartiovaara does not advise you to start taking a vitamin B3 supplement without talking to your doctor, as high nad can also accidentally affect the levels of other medicines. - I recommend that through a doctor, but I can't control that. - Large doses are like medicine, then you need to know what you are doing. I always tell patients that they take doses at follow-up and occasionally go to lab tests and some doctor looks at the situation. Side effects may include a decrease in hemoglobin and worsening of gout symptoms. Wartiovaara refuses to say directly whether she herself eats nad-add. - It's been measured, and I drew conclusions from it, she says with a smile.

Wartiovaara was to become a doctor treating patients, but the study went on. She did her dissertation at Leena Palotie's laboratory in Helsinki. - I have said that metabolism is the hottest topic in the next decade. Genes have been studied for a long time, but now a new level of regulation is being reached. There are a lot of potential treatments out there, as long as you know exactly where you can be affected. No single supplement or vitamin is good for everyone. Although Wartiovaara has been researching metabolism for 30 years, she is really excited now. He officially works 120 percent - 100 percent for the university and 20 percent for Hus. - Now we have the tools to analyze our metabolism and we have our own disease models that we have been developing in our group for 15 years, they are pretty ideal. We get more information every day. We are the world leaders in our industry.

Last edited:

Wishful

Not a magic solution for ME though. Plenty of us have taken B3 without any noticeable benefit.

The new test is likely to benefit some people with NAD-related diseases.

lyran

Not a magic solution for ME though. Plenty of us have taken B3 without any noticeable benefit.

The new test is likely to benefit some people with NAD-related diseases.

Yes and many of us has also taken nicotinamide riboside and nicotinamide mononucleotide without seeing any benefits. Maybe NAD+ levels are not that low in CFS/ME or then there's some other issue we don't know yet.