• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fingers and hands sensitive?

I've had fibro for a long time. Recently my hands and fingers are much more sensitive. I'm not sure how to describe it, sensitive seems like the best word. I'll do things I used to do, and it's harder or more painful. It really just started one day and it's still here after 6 or more weeks. My feet and the rest of me is unchanged.

Anyone know if RA starts off this way usually? Would I have other symptoms if it's RA? Anyone here NOT have RA but have this happen one day? I hope it's not RA and may go away.

Patrick*

Formerly PWCalvin
Sorry to revive a zombie thread from 7 years ago, but I wanted to say that I am experiencing this too. My hands and fingers have all of a sudden become really really sore and sensitive, to the point where it hurts to type or to wash my hands or a million other regular daily tasks. Does this go away?

@patrick

I'm sorry you're having a new problem like this. The worst parts went away for me. I don't know why it happened. I had it again a few years ago, for a couple months, and again for a shorter length.

It seems it's typical for someone with RA to not be diagnosed for years until they get worse. However, I never had swollen fingers, which is the major sign of an RA flare. I still wanted to get some bloodwork done while my symptoms were bad, but I was too busy.

Jenny

Sorry to revive a zombie thread from 7 years ago, but I wanted to say that I am experiencing this too. My hands and fingers have all of a sudden become really really sore and sensitive, to the point where it hurts to type or to wash my hands or a million other regular daily tasks. Does this go away?

This is a recurring symptom for me too, particularly painful tips of fingers so that even typing on an iPad keyboard is painful. I also get extremely painful tops and sides of my hands - sometimes even moving my hand just one millimetre sets off agonising pain that can last half an hour.

But this episodes, just like lots of other weird symptoms, only last 3-4 weeks, then disappear until the next relapse. I've tried topical Mg but that had no effect. Next time I might try capsaicin cream as this has been helpful for other types of pain.