• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Filgotinib case studies

Thinktank

Filgotinib has been on the market for over a year now. Thus far i have not found any case studies. Is anyone on the forum using filgotinib? Or perhaps know of any case studies, or experiences posted online by patients? Not just in relation to ME/CFS, but any other disease like rheuma, crohn's etc.

hmnr asg

any updates on this? has anyone been able to try it?
Filgotinib (Jyseleca) is now widely available in Europe and Japan, and another Jak1 inhibitor, Rinvoq (Upadacitinib) is available in the US. Given the implications in the Itaconate Shunt theory, I think someone must have tried one of these who could share their experience?
It has been two years since this post was created :(

Last edited:
Well, I was just prescribed Rinvoq by my doctors at the VA, and was searching to see how others had fared with JAK inhibitors.

I will update here again when I actually have something to share, hopefully I’m a few weeks/months.

-Ken

hmnr asg

Well, I was just prescribed Rinvoq by my doctors at the VA, and was searching to see how others had fared with JAK inhibitors.

I will update here again when I actually have something to share, hopefully I’m a few weeks/months.

-Ken
Wow how did you manage to convince your doctor to give you rinvoq ? I am trying to find a doctor who is willing to give it to me, but so far unsuccessfully.

Thank you for sharing and thanks for keeping us updated on the results.

I can’t thank you enough for pointing me back to this. It looks like I may have more reading to do before I begin reporting on any progress.

The VA finally moved this forward this week. I got approval for treatment with Rinvoq not for cfs, but for the more non-specific aches and joint pains I have, which are currently in mostly my tendons.

My tendons were already aching when my rheumatologist tapped them during a visit. The tap set off a pain response like I had been punched in my forearm, (which surprised both him and me). That led to a brief symptom history, then a decision to move forward with a trial.

I’ll try to update here as well as there as things progress.

My dosage is 15mg daily of Rinvoq or upadacitinib.

After first few days dosing, I didn't notice much difference, except maybe a very slight reduction in fatigue.

At about 30 days, I experienced a overnight reduction in pain, fatiguability eg when walking, and the overall constant fatigue, which is still there at ~40 days. That said, I am also beginning very recently (last couple days) to again experience the waxing and waning of my symptoms, though overall the severity seems to be reduced.

I would say it seems like other things we have found, where a short time after improvement (improvement for me was at 30 days) symptoms gradually return . Hopefully now though the severity will be reduced - that would be enough to make me happy.

On the bright side - it's working great for my psoriasis.

PEM is different for me than others have mentioned. I definitely get very tired after a walk, but it doesn't seem to drop down all of my functionality for days - I just get sleepy, I take an hour long nap, and I'm back where I was pretty much after a day or so. And taking long rests don't improve my baseline either.

hmnr asg

My dosage is 15mg daily of Rinvoq or upadacitinib.

After first few days dosing, I didn't notice much difference, except maybe a very slight reduction in fatigue.

At about 30 days, I experienced a overnight reduction in pain, fatiguability eg when walking, and the overall constant fatigue, which is still there at ~40 days. That said, I am also beginning very recently (last couple days) to again experience the waxing and waning of my symptoms, though overall the severity seems to be reduced.

I would say it seems like other things we have found, where a short time after improvement (improvement for me was at 30 days) symptoms gradually return . Hopefully now though the severity will be reduced - that would be enough to make me happy.

On the bright side - it's working great for my psoriasis.

PEM is different for me than others have mentioned. I definitely get very tired after a walk, but it doesn't seem to drop down all of my functionality for days - I just get sleepy, I take an hour long nap, and I'm back where I was pretty much after a day or so. And taking long rests don't improve my baseline either.
May I ask how you were able to get rinvoq ? I tried convincing my doctor but had no luck :(

May I ask how you were able to get rinvoq ? I tried convincing my doctor but had no luck :(
Sure. I happen to also have comorbid psoriatic arthritis, and anti-tnf therapy failed to help. I tried humira for a number of months several years ago.

I didn’t try enbrel - wondering if I should or not. I should try to look that up in the forums.

It seems the Rinvoq is helping, but it is very slow to work. Studies show it could take 14 weeks for full effect.

I am at 8 weeks now of Rinvoq, and most of my symptoms seem to have returned. It doesn't look great for Rinvoq in my case.

Exceptions are a mild reduction in stamina (I work/walk/go longer before becoming fatigued) and in brain fog (I can keep enough focus now to read and light study once again). Also, some of my arthritis like symptoms have abated some - including a reduction in those pains, and a near resolution of the long standing psoriasis on my knees.

The fatigue and daytime sleepiness symptoms persist as they always have, as well as many of the aches/pains.

My summary is this is not at all the silver bullet for CFS I had hoped it might be.

After going through a few 'silver bullet hopefuls over the years, I was prepared for that outcome, and my expectations were low. So, for now, I will accept the gains presented and keep pressing on with Rinvoq. I will update here with anything meaningful.

As this was my 4th or 5th attempt at arthritic/immune system treatments (prednisone, methotrexate, sulphasalazine, anti-tnf's, and now Rinvoq), all of which helped a little but never a lot, I think I am becoming confident that the root of my issues is not due to an ongoing immunological issue.

Disappointingly, if this is not an immunological issue, I am left with very little that explains just what is driving all of this.

We persevere.