• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FGFR-3 autoantibodies and SFN

My current diagnoses include MECFS, neuropathic POTS and SFN, and
recently I have tested positive for the FGFR-3 autoantibodies (CellTrend panel), which seems to be associated with SFN. (In addition, I have also tested positive for various GPCR autoantibodies, but a recent paper suggests that CellTrend tests for these autoantibodies may not be reliable.)

In view of this, my neurologist thinks that I have autoimmune SFN and that this SFN is causing all my symptoms. Taking into account that I have already attempted in the past several immunomodulatory therapies (IVIG, plasmapheresis, corticosteroids and micophenolate-cellcept) without any result, my doctor thinks that I should resort to Rituximab as a last resort.

Nevertheless, as you will already know, Rituximab has potentially serious side effects and in view of the null effects of my previous treatments (especially IVIG and plasmapheresis), I have serious doubts that this strategy may be useful in my case. But at the same time I am really desperate to try to improve my situation and I do not want to rule out beforehand the employment of Rituximab.

For this reason, before taking a decision, I would like to get further information about the implications of testing positive for FGFR-3 autoantibodies. In particular, I would like to know if your doctors use the presence of these autoantibodies as a guide for treatment. Is there anyone who has obtained good results using Rituximab to target these specific autoantibodies?

Many thanks for your help.