• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fevers, neurological symptoms

MEG

I have had a low grade fever for about 6 weeks now. I treat the fever with Tylenol. If untreated, I ache all over and become very weak. Like to the point where I can barely brush my teeth. BTW: I have had fevers since I was diagnosed in 2002. The fevers always went away early on in the illness when I was treated with an antibiotic. My doctor no longer gives me antibiotics. I was told by a doctor at Dartmouth that he thought the reason I felt so much better when I was on antibiotics was because of their anti-inflamatory effects. OK. But then, why do I not feel better if I am on Lodine, or Ibuprofren, which I take daily? Am I crazy to still feel that this illness is viral/bacteria based? My son and I both got ill in 2001 after a terrible flu we both had.
Also, I had a seizure yesterday. I had many sezures early on. Had a full neurological work-up at Dartmouth. Nothing showed up. However, I had a seizure when they used the strobe light at the end of an EEG! No explaination. They just took me back to my room and closed the curtains! I have since learned to avoid bright lights, crowds, confusing situations etc to minimize the seizures. They seem to be brough on by overstimulation...like at large airports. (have had a seizure at O'Hare!) Also, pople who try to visit and just talk and talk...well, it does the same thing. I need quiet! Does anyone else have seizures brought on by overstimulation or other causes? Has anyone gotten a good answer from a doctor as to why they happen?

Lastly, is there anyone else out there with low grade fevers? Do you find them debilitating? HELP!!!! I am crashing again after about 5 good months. It is so distressing and I am scared.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hello Marian--

I feel for you, and I am sorry that you are having such a hard time.

I don't use any medications of any kind myself, because I cannot tolerate any of them. My inclination is to use food as medicine, along with supplements and herbs.

One thing that comes to mind is that MAYBE the Tylenol could be partly responsible for the seizures. I know that it can be really toxic to the liver. Tylenol is actually implicated in about 70% of liver transplants, due to people taking too much. So maybe taking it regularly for long periods can cause stress on your liver...? Just a thought.

When I get chronic infections, which I've been prone to constantly over the past 10 ten years, I have used herbs like black elderberry or goldenseal and various Chinese herb formulas (chuan xin lian being the strongest), and mushroom formulas. I take a lot of saunas or hot baths, and lay low until they get out of my system.

Lately I've been using Lauricidin for the chronic infections and have had some success, with the only problem being that it can act as a mild chelator and draw out heavy metals. (You can read more about it under MY LAURICIDIN STORY somewhere on this forum.) Lauricidin is probably the strongest natural thing you can take for infections. Here's some info about it. http://www.lauricidin.com/ Good luck to you. ~Dreambirdie

kolowesi

low-grade fevers

So sorry to hear about all that you are going through!

Yes, I had the low-grade fevers, usually about 99.6 and not all day long. They would go away with doxycycline. I also couldn't find a doctor who would prescribe it, till I developed enough auto-immune symptoms.

Turns out, I have Lyme Bb. I think I got it first, then EBV and HHV-6 reactivated and took out my immune system. Because I was on doxycycline so much for sinusitis, mycoplasma pneumoniae (it took 3 tries to get a positive PCR on that, very hard to catch in a test), and "mild lupus," the Lyme Bb was suppressed.

Don't know if you have ruled out Lyme, I had ruled it out 4 or 5 times. Then I started having bands show up, one on Labcorp, two on Quest, a bunch on Igenex. Those in the know say "It's a clinical diagnosis," meaning the tests have a lot of false negatives.

Insurance won't pay for the antibiotic treatment, so I'm just doing oral for now. I got some better, and then tried to do physical therapy from which I am recovering now.

Anyway, the fever is from something, and it could very well be bacterial. You may want to find a Lyme-literate MD and make sure. It's not something you want to let go any longer than you have to. I hope it's not Lyme, but if it is, the sooner you know, the better.

Best of luck!
Kelly

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I just want to add that Lauricidin has been used successfully by some with Lymes. You can talk to Brain Kabara about this. His grandfather is the one who discovered Lauricidin 30 years ago. Brian now runs the company and usually answers the phone. VERY NICE PERSON! 877 770-7270.

MEG

Lyme, Fevers and seizures

In the beginning (2001) I had the typical, spherical red area on my neck. I had been on a camping trip and a couple of weeks later the red circle appeared. I remember my then husband telling me it was ugly, being on my neck. The CFIDS didn't present itself until a year later when I got a terrible flu. The infectious disease doc tested me for Lyme.(among many other things, like AIDS) I have been tested only once for Lyme. I have always wondered about that. You mentioned two specific labs..I will ask my doctor to test me again. (using one of the suggested labs) She told me today she is willing to try another course of doxycycline. I am going downhill FAST, so my doc said she will try anything. I am lucky to have a very supportive doctor. And this forum is TERRIFIC. All the suggestions are so very helpful.

jenbooks

That rash is diagnostic. What happened is your body didn't crash from the lyme, which was slowly invading your system until you got the flu. You might not even have gotten so sick with the flu if not for the lyme. If your fevers are at all cyclical (i.e. afternoon) you likely have babesia too. The reason you get better on antibiotics is they are holding the lyme in check. If you can tolerate antibiotics you are in luck. Go onto www.lymenet.com and read a lot.

MEG

Jenbooks,
Will go to lymenet and read. You present a very interesting theory. A very plausible one...it makes so much sense. It will be interresting, if I have Lyme as well, how effective antibiotics will be ten years into the disease. I will read!

MEG

Fevers/Doxyclycline/Hunter Hopkins Clinic

Dr Black at Hunter Hopkins clinic (Charlotte, NC) put me on Doxy on November 12. My fevers have been becoming less frequent. I would say they are about 75% better.

I am still in a crash though...about six weeks or more now. I am taking Jody's advice and resting a lot. I used to try to push through each crash...really push. That way of treating the crash would leave me almost paralyzed, until Jody told me to just rest. Any other pearls of wisdom? I am open to any advice.

I am so fatigued that I am in my recliner or bed, except to cook a daily evening meal for my husband, or maybe put a load of laundry in. UUGGHHH And the brain fog....