• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fever without high temperature?

Since my condition set in last year, I've been struggling to find a way to describe what I'm feeling in my head. I used to characterize it as dizziness, as my head will intermittently have a swinging feeling, but there's also a constant underlying uneasiness felt.

I now think that it's best described as long periods of a constant fever without a higher temperature. My head feels hot, it feels a bit wavy -- almost like nausea in my head -- but my body temperature is seemingly normal.

Anyone else experience this? Is this due to neuroinflammation?

nerd

Sure. In fact, I have rather low temperatures when I feel this way. When you feel hot, your body is cooling down. It's a missense just like real fever is a missense that you're not warm enough. Some part of the CFS/ME pathology dysregulates temperature sensing and temperature control. I think the Renin-Angiotensin pathway plays a role but also the electrolyte dysbalances. It helped me to ensure that my room temperature is normal and that I don't have too many or too few blanket(s).

ljimbo423

I now think that it's best described as long periods of a constant fever without a higher temperature. My head feels hot, it feels a bit wavy -- almost like nausea in my head -- but my body temperature is seemingly normal.

Anyone else experience this? Is this due to neuroinflammation?

I use to feel like I had a fever often. When I took my temperature though, it was always a little low. My hunch is, it is the low grade neuroinflammation that ME/CFS researcher Jarred Younger found.