• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feeling paranoid about dysphagia (inability to swallow) does anyone else have it?

I’ve been feeling super paranoid about dysphagia. It’s not like there’s something stuck in my throat it’s like my brain says ‘swallow’ and my throat says ‘no’. It comes and goes. I don’t always have it. I have heard this is rare but not impossible with this disorder. Does anyone else here have it? Would be a great comfort if somebody said yes.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I’ve been feeling super paranoid about dysphagia. It’s not like there’s something stuck in my throat it’s like my brain says ‘swallow’ and my throat says ‘no’. It comes and goes. I don’t always have it. I have heard this is rare but not impossible with this disorder. Does anyone else here have it? Would be a great comfort if somebody said yes.
I've had dysphagia due to low phosphorous. My phosphorous became low when I started taking thiamine. Thiamine boosted my energy noticeably for a day or two and then caused severe fatigue. It's a long story, involving refeeding syndrome, but I was able to figure out that the thiamine was causing my body to use more phosphorous, and thus it caused my phosphorous levels to tank. Low phosphorous caused severe fatigue plus trouble swallowing for me. I drank several glasses of kefir, which is high in phosphorous, and my energy came back within a few hours, so I knew the problem was low phosphorous. I eventually ended up getting a phosphorous supplement, which I take a couple of times a week. Every once in awhile my pills will start to get stuck in my throat and it's always a sign that my phosphorous has gotten low again.

This may or may not be part of your problem. We are all different here!

I've had dysphagia due to low phosphorous. My phosphorous became low when I started taking thiamine. Thiamine boosted my energy noticeably for a day or two and then caused severe fatigue. It's a long story, involving refeeding syndrome, but I was able to figure out that the thiamine was causing my body to use more phosphorous, and thus it caused my phosphorous levels to tank. Low phosphorous caused severe fatigue plus trouble swallowing for me. I drank several glasses of kefir, which is high in phosphorous, and my energy came back within a few hours, so I knew the problem was low phosphorous. I eventually ended up getting a phosphorous supplement, which I take a couple of times a week. Every once in awhile my pills will start to get stuck in my throat and it's always a sign that my phosphorous has gotten low again.

This may or may not be part of your problem. We are all different here!
Omg thankyou mary

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
I do not, but oddly enough my sister-in-law (who does not have ME/CFS) has dysphagia. What she describes is similar to your experience, the feeling of having something painful sticking in her throat making it tough for her to swallow. She actually has a blog where she shares recipes for soups that don't stick, in case you need recipes for something you can eat on a day when it's really bad.

Thinktank

I've had dysphagia due to gluten intolerance. It was really scary at times, but the dysphagia has vanished ever since i cut out gluten completely from my diet. Last month I had some bread, pizza and other stuff for a few days in a row and the dysphagia came back, so i know for me that gluten causes dysphagia and other neurological issues.