• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feel like I'm going downhill, don't know how to improve my symptoms

Replenished

I don't know what's going on with me. My legs feel full of lactic acid from doing little to nothing. My neck and head feel odd and dizzy. Pulling pressure sensation in base of skull. My cognition is awful, I can't remember what I did 2 minutes ago, keep misplacing things, leaving fridge open, leaving half eaten food on the side etc etc.

The lactic acid thing is really freaking me out. There's the ongoing dehydration thing I have as well that's just been horrendous in recent days.

How can I stop all this and get myself on an upward trajectory. I feel so low and alone in all of this.

hapl808

Did you change any supplements, minerals, etc? I've had a recent decline and not sure if it's coincidence or due to supplements like selenium or other things that I adjusted. It's always hard to know because physical changes can follow days or weeks of a supplement change.

Rufous McKinney

Can you access a bath? would some soaks help the lactic acid build up? (yet is sort of hot most places, and thats not necessarily viable)

Yesterday was a list of Off States I could list but won't bother. Felt really "off". Weird this weird that.

The level of not doing or not thinking or not being, required to not get Overdone is ...its just hard. I think I over do it every single day. And I'm constantly stopping or saying NO To getting anything done. Mental physical etc.

Wishful

Don't put too much effort into treating excess lactic acid unless you can find evidence that it's actually the cause. Your ME might be altering some neural cells in a way that makes it feel like excess lactic acid. It's a tricky disease.

As for what caused the downslide, that will take detective work. My severity has had plenty of downslides, mostly due to diet. Foods that had been safe for many years suddenly started making me feel worse. It generally takes me a while to realize that it's not a new addition to my diet, but something that my response to has changed. Lately I've been having issues with fibre, which hadn't been a problem before. At other times, different fatty acids gave me trouble, although occasionally benefits.

I suggest avoiding the foods that you normally consume, for at least a few days (5 is usual for a rotation diet), to see whether that provides some improvement. It takes me several days to recover from a teaspoon or two of fibre, but other foods might take even longer.

Hopefully, after avoiding one of those foods for a few days, you'll say: "Hey, I'm feeling better!". :)

Of course, it could be deficiency of something too. :meh:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Did you stop the NAC? If so, could you be having rebound?

This WEBSITE says,

"Carnitine gives you another option. The authors of a February 2014 report in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research tested the effect of this amino acid derivative in 26 soccer players. The athletes took 3 or 4 grams of L-carnitine during a single testing session. Compared to a placebo, this treatment delayed the inevitable increase in lactic acid caused by an intense run."

Replenished

Did you stop the NAC? If so, could you be having rebound?

This WEBSITE says,

"Carnitine gives you another option. The authors of a February 2014 report in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research tested the effect of this amino acid derivative in 26 soccer players. The athletes took 3 or 4 grams of L-carnitine during a single testing session. Compared to a placebo, this treatment delayed the inevitable increase in lactic acid caused by an intense run."

That's about Carnitine though isn't it, not NAC. I am still taking the NAC. Although I haven't today.

Mick

I don't know what's going on with me. My legs feel full of lactic acid from doing little to nothing.

How can you tell that you have lactic acid build up? Usually what is called lactic acid build up is actually damage (microtears) of the muscles caused by different things. The pain associated with this damage used to be thought as lactic acid build up (even by researchers). This, however, changed entirely.

So, do you have lactic acid build up or damage to the muscles, how do you think?

CSMLSM

I don't know what's going on with me. My legs feel full of lactic acid from doing little to nothing. My neck and head feel odd and dizzy. Pulling pressure sensation in base of skull. My cognition is awful, I can't remember what I did 2 minutes ago, keep misplacing things, leaving fridge open, leaving half eaten food on the side etc etc.

The lactic acid thing is really freaking me out. There's the ongoing dehydration thing I have as well that's just been horrendous in recent days.

How can I stop all this and get myself on an upward trajectory. I feel so low and alone in all of this.
I felt this way for many years and it was awful. I basically rotted in my own filth until I got well enough to do something about it. I would use cannabis in the past and in recent times CBD and copaiba/caryophyllene.

Maybe an epsom salt bath would help but the bath could be dangerous if you are on your own. Do you support your bodies electrolytes with supplements, magnesium and pottasium specifically. Could be low.

In ME/CFS we can have lack of oxgen in our cells because of an issue in energy metabolism but still have 100% blood saturation of oxygen. Lactic acid is produced when our muscles do not have enough oxygen.

Sorry I could not offer anything more. You are not alone we are here wishing you well.

LINE

If it is lactic acid buildup then you might want to look at magnesium, potassium or sodium. One very efficient way for me is to use baking soda. Baking soda is very alkalizing which neutralizes the acids.

Wishful

Baking soda is very alkalizing which neutralizes the acids.

Yes, but that just neutralizes stomach acid, which makes the stomach produce more. IIRC, I checked online and didn't find any evidence that swallowing baking soda did anything for neutralizing lactic acid in muscles.

kewia

My neck and head feel odd and dizzy. Pulling pressure sensation in base of skull. My cognition is awful, I can't remember what I did 2 minutes ago, keep misplacing things, leaving fridge open, leaving half eaten food on the side etc etc.

Sounds like an inflammation in the brainstem.
Did you try anti inflammatory meds?

Some meds which help others are: Boswellia, Andrographis, Steroids.
Vitamin C also seems to mildly reduce my brain inflammation.