• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fatigue center of Brain

Wishful

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/08/200826113713.htm

"Using MRI scans and computer modeling, scientists say they have further pinpointed areas of the human brain that regulate efforts to deal with fatigue."

The part identified is the insula:

Wiki: "It plays a role in a variety of homeostatic functions related to basic survival needs, such as taste, visceral sensation, and autonomic control. The insula controls autonomic functions through the regulation of the sympathetic and parasympathetic systems. It has a role in regulating the immune system."

The study certainly doesn't point clearly at the insula being involved in ME's fatigue, but it's something for researchers to keep in mind. For example, if a significant number of PWME have feelings of bloating that correlate with other ME symptom levels, that might be evidence that the insula is involved.

ljimbo423

The part identified is the insula:

Jarred Younger found increased temperature, a sign of inflammation, in the insula in ME/CFS-

ME/CFS patients had increased temperature in the right insula, putamen, frontal cortex, thalamus, and the cerebellum (all p < 0.05), which was not attributable to increased body temperature or differences in cerebral perfusion.

Brain temperature increases converged with elevated LAC/CR in the right insula, right thalamus, and cerebellum (all p < 0.05). We report metabolite and temperature abnormalities in ME/CFS patients in widely distributed regions. Our findings may indicate that ME/CFS involves neuroinflammation.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30617782/

Wishful

The part I'm not sure of is whether the insula controls central fatigue or just muscular fatigue. My main problem is mental lethargy, which I think is central fatigue.