• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fasting - specifically practically with ME/CFS and methylation treatment

I have tried various fasts. I did a 5 day pure water fast which made me much worse.

I did a 14 day juice fast with no results.

However i had phenomenal results from a "buchinger" fast. It is a German style of fasting on max 250kcal a day from juice and broth. After 11 days I had the strongest spiritual clarity I have ever experienced. I no longer felt the need to recover. It was a privilege to exist and experience consciousness.

At day 13-14 my CFS symptoms were rapidly vanishing. However after breaking the fast my symptoms rapidly returned with a vengeance

I did a 3 day fast as an inpatient, to rule out an insulin-secreting tumour. I actually felt much better, but will say that I had an emotional crash afterwards, although I'm not sure how much of that can be put down to hospital insomnia/witnessing upsetting situations. They were also very concerned with taking my temperature and blood pressure at regular intervals (and of course blood glucose), so maybe wise to take those precautions.

IMO water fasting is the only way to go, juice fasting will send your blood glucose all over the place and cause migraine, hypos etc