• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fast heart rate while sleeping, wakes me up

deleder2k

I also suffer from this problem. I doesn't happen every day. Probably more like a few times every month. My pulse goes up from 55-60 to 120-130. My Apple Watch recorded a pulse of 125 from 5 am to 11 am. At 4 am when I also was asleep my heart rate was 57.

I also suffer from a blocked nose. It is not always blocked when I try to sleep. It can be every night for 2-3 weeks. Then it is clear for a month. I've tried different anti-allergic sprays and tablets. Not sure if my high pulse is due to the fact that I can't breathe with my nose? My GP says that if the body was in desperate need of air it would breathe with the mouth automatically. I've woken up a few times feeling that in desperate need of oxygen. But when I had a pulse for 125 for 5 hours straight I didn't wake up. I felt like s*** when I woke up, and I felt that my sleep was very bad. I felt that I could remember some of it.

I had a slight sleep apnea a few years ago. Removed my tonsillitis. I think it helped. But that was 5 years ago. Haven't done a new sleep test after that.

Have you guys tried an oximeter?

caledonia

I was having more issues with this again and re-found this thread. It does seem to track very well with PEM. So that explains why the problem is intermittent.

I already do electrolytes and am not dehydrated. I'm currently on an H2 blocker so it's not reflux.

Anyway, I'm getting another sleep study soon; perhaps they will find something, although I'm not holding my breath (no pun intended) :)

ryan31337

I found it interesting to learn that jaw clenching can cause apneic events whilst sleeping, potentially becoming a trigger for the nocturnal tachycardia and poor sleep efficiency.

Worth considering if you have any signs of TMJ dysfunction, like jaw clicking and locking. I sleep with a bite raiser at all times now and feel it helps.