• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fall/winter: Seasonal Affective Disorder: I love it, I hate it

lenora

Hi @Mary......I agree, just being outdoors and moving can be of benefit to many of us.

How alive we feel when coming in from say, a rainstorm, or a long walk in the snow. It doesn't seem to matter if the sun is shining it's the overall feeling of having accomplished something with our bodies.

I believe that SAD is real for many people....for others, it's the pure lack of physical output. As a matter of fact, I'd rather walk in the snow and wind and experience the physical afterglow of it.

Well, that was another time in life. I wish you felt better and do hope you can find out if this is SAD, or a feeling of gloominess that will lift when the sun is out. Let us know. Yours, Lenora

belize44

Hi @Mary......I agree, just being outdoors and moving can be of benefit to many of us.

How alive we feel when coming in from say, a rainstorm, or a long walk in the snow. It doesn't seem to matter if the sun is shining it's the overall feeling of having accomplished something with our bodies.

I believe that SAD is real for many people....for others, it's the pure lack of physical output. As a matter of fact, I'd rather walk in the snow and wind and experience the physical afterglow of it.

Well, that was another time in life. I wish you felt better and do hope you can find out if this is SAD, or a feeling of gloominess that will lift when the sun is out. Let us know. Yours, Lenora
I totally agree. When we first moved back to PA from FL I welcomed the first cold winter I had experienced, in a long time. We went on a haunted walk, and I donned my long underwear, bundled up and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I still remember how exhilarated my body felt, although I am sure I had a mini crash afterward.

I become depressed if I can't do the vigorous things that my body cries out for, like a good house cleaning or a brisk walk.

lenora

Hi @belize44.....well, if a good house cleaning gives you your jollies, then you'll have people lined up out the door.

Seriously though, isn't there something fulfilling about pushing your body to a minor limit. I had to walk everywhere and while I can't say I looked forward to it, I always loved the feeling afterward. Trust me, apart from walking and cycling (at one time), I'm no athlete.

I'm from PA. also (about 56 yrs. ago) and moving to a warmer climate (Dallas, TX. now) certainly does change how you can get the same feeling. Especially if you aren't a beach person. Yours, Lenora

belize44

I'm not exactly an athlete either, but in my youth I loved pushing to the limit. I even joined the army reserves for the basic training. I have done lots and lots of walking in my life, mostly from necessity in my hardship years, until I got a car. But I do miss a nice walk in nature.