• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Extremely high B cells (CD19) - what's going on? Help understanding results

Antares in NYC

Hi folks. Just a quick update on my results:

I talked to my hematologist about the very high CD19 numbers. He revised all materials, and then contrasted them with the full hematological studies that he performed about 6 months ago. Here's what the hematologist explained:
  • Not to worry about the very high CD19 numbers quite yet: first, the immunoglobulin levels are pretty normal, and didn't see other telltale signs of anything worrisome. He mentioned that oftentimes this is a sign of your body fighting a very specific infection, but he couldn't mention what in particular (viral or bacterial).

• We should repeat all tests in 3 months and see if anything has changed at all. If nothing has changed then, or if immunoglobulin looks different, then it would be time to do further analysis.

• My ME/CFS doctor mentioned to me that several studies have observed unexplained high levels of CD19 lymphs in ME/CFS patients; if these unexplained high levels of B-cells continue, I could potentially be a good candidate for Rituximab. Just a thought.
That said, this is not the first time I had extremely high CD19 levels, if my brain-fogged memory serves me well. Let me dig through my medical records, and I will tell you guys a nightmarish story from my first bout of ME/CFS...

Last edited:
Hi everyone.

I just received the results of my latest lymphocyte panel tests from two weeks ago, but I don't get to see my CFS doctor in a few weeks. Some of the numbers are truly whacky, so I would really appreciate it if someone could kindly explain to me what this means.

Here you have the most dramatic results from the panels, and their reference numbers:
  • Absolute CD19 cells: 1061 (110 - 660 cells/mcL) High
  • Absolute Lymphocytes: 3898 (850 - 3900 cells/mcL) Borderline High
  • % CD8-/CD57+ Lymphs: 1.6 (2.0 - 17.0 %) Low
  • Abs. CD8- CD57+ Lymphs: 35 (60 - 360 /uL) Low
The rest of the numbers in these panels look somewhat within reason. These numbers Iook weird. What can you guys infer from these results?
Thanks in advance.

I recently had a similar finding and ran across your post searching for insight.

CD57+ / CD3- NK 2 and 38
CD19+ 510 (40-383)

Have you learned anything more about your case? I also have had two standard equivocal Lyme tests and very high EBV CMV HHV-6 IGG labs.

Back