• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Extreme sensitivity to MSG causing severe insomnia - any ideas?

Hi @Mary! So ashamed I didn't get back in a timely fashion. Got involved in multiple computer problems and just haven't been online much lately.

I know what you mean about getting used to staying away from foods containing MSG. I'm still a little careful not to overload with MSG. I still ask for no MSG in Chinese food. But, so far, so good. But you are so right that the stupid stuff is in EVERYTHING. Plus there are plenty of folks out there declaring that MSG is perfectly safe and causes no problems. Yeah, right - unless it DOES. Grrrrr :mad:

Oooohh...Magnolia Extract! That stuff is the bomb at lowering glutamate. Restless Legs Syndrome has bothered me a lot in the past year (off and on for about 10 years). I realized high glutamate was one of the triggers. That's when I discovered Magnolia Extract. It sure helped me sleep many a bad restless legs night.

Interesting thought about s-acetyl-glutathione. Maybe I'll try taking it sublingually but only if it doesn't taste too awful. I'm at 2 pills daily, and my glutathione levels seem pretty strong. I wish my body could have made enough of its own but aging and genetics take their toll I guess.

I skimmed the SOD post you mentioned. There's a lot of info there so I'll go and read it carefully. Looks very interesting and useful. I'm taking the Extramel version of SOD and really love it as I've written before.

Glad you're doing well! I'm not 100% but so much better than a year ago. Heck, just sleeping better makes such a huge difference. I feel encouraged ;)