• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Extreme relaxation seems to be the only thing that helps me feel better

vision blue

The more I dont' see living people, it's getting worse, my isolation and reluctance to be near anyone.

Feel like a neon sign says- this one has BLOWN it.
Do you see dead people :)

I know what you mean. Pre-pandemic i was forcing myself to eat out once a week in a crowded resteraunt despite getting dysutonomia attacks while eating to try to stave off my increasingly getting used to not being in the world. Now im too far gone and very hard to be around the hustle and bustle of life. But im sure your daughter wil force you..

That reminds me. One more thing and then I will stop co-opting this thread Maybe when your husband wrote down Nash he was trying to write down Cash?

Long Haul Mono

The more I dont' see living people, it's getting worse, my isolation and reluctance to be near anyone.

Feel like a neon sign says- this one has BLOWN it.
That sounds all too familiar. Likewise, I don't see anyone anymore, and I'm still working from home (until work has enough of that and fires me).

Sounds like you're on a 'dopamine crash'. I recall hearing this theory from a PhD studying the effects of ME/CFS, suggesting the body, in its desperation to conserve the little energy it has spare, will "turn the dopamine taps off" in an attempt to stop you from doing anything and just rest. The result: depression, feeling moody.
His also had a theory relating to ME/CFS-related social isolation, claiming it may be a biological protection mechanism to avoid pathogenic exposure of a compromised/dysfunctional immune system.

Drugs don't work (maybe short term but not long term). Modafinil is a weak dopamine reuptake inhibitor, which I used to take. It stopped working, or rather it caused the severe fatigue I was experiencing, ie an anti-narcoleptic drug giving me narcolepsy symptoms?!?!
Likewise, anti-depressants are the worst thing a GP can give to an ME/CFS patient. Trying to force against your body's attempt to rest is a recipe for disaster (as I also found out).

Rufous McKinney

Modafinil is a weak dopamine reuptake inhibitor,

My doctor tried to get me on that. Each time I tried it, crashed/PEM. I do not see Modafinil as helping any of this.

anti-depressants are the worst thing a GP can give to an ME/CFS patient.

two days on Zoloft almost killed me....(months to recover)

Do you see dead people :)

Oh, dead people are much easier, they are far less demanding.

The result: depression, feeling moody.
clearly the body is in a depressed state, at all levels. I can, however, still enjoy myself here and there or in bits and pieces. I think these are normal reactions when sick, sickness behavior,, etc. dominates.

The result: depression, feeling moody.
I can literally lose my voice. And the sore throat....wow it's like strep level. It just starts up.

Rufous McKinney

Maybe when your husband wrote down Nash he was trying to write down Cash?

thats funny. Yes, perhaps. When we asked him to remember his PIN number...he was chosing 789 4. I think he was just enjoying pushing the buttons.

Because of blowing the Power of Attorney thing, and I'm not on his bank account, all that is captured.

They are telling us we have to go to court. How many thousands of dollars would that cost, and wouldn't that take YEARS?

Rufous McKinney

i was forcing myself to eat out once a week in a crowded resteraunt despite getting dysutonomia attacks while eating to try to stave off my increasingly getting used to not being in the world.

Hairdresser: two blocks away.

not gotten my hair cut, in five years.

Now, this is pathetic. I did finally speak to her on the phone. I can probably take this extreme action and drive TWO blocks and get my hair cut and fake it for one hour.

You'd think.

My chinese herbalist: I call, pick up herbs. I'm avoiding him. But I need to see him, to discuss My Lymphoma.

I challenged him on the phone, the idea he cannot "treat it". What BS. of course, Chinese medicine is capable of treating it. It's just legally you can't EVER SAY you can cure X or Y. And of course, we don't know for sure. But its worth a try, isn't it?

Because right now, the oncologist says my version is Watch and Wait. So let's work on remission. Right on.