• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Extrasystoles and supplements

Hi everybody.

Is there any tips / supplements that help with reducing the amount of extrasystoles? I have tons and tons of them and they are not frightening as I have had them for a long time, but they are extremely annoying.

I often feel them when my stomach is in un-balance so I would guess there is a connection. But that is not always the case.

Any tips here?

alkt

if you can take beta blockers they will greatly reduce symptoms. I have been taking atenolol for about 20 years now and they have definitely reduced periods of irregular heart beats and hot flushes .

Sorry. Betablockers runs my pulse down to low. Even the smallest doses makes me feel really bad. Tried it, hated it :(

Also in my case, it didnt do much for the extrasystoles. Just the pulse. But thanks for the tip anyway :)

alkt

that is unfortunate but maybe some else here will have more useful suggestions . this is the downside of all the differences we have shame the world of medicine tries to treat us all as one entity .

Avena

How is your blood pressure?

Magnesium/Potassium has been helpful for me. My preferred type is Magnesium Malate, but there are many different types.

Last edited:
Blood pressure normal, but on the high side of normal.

Have tried Magnesium, did not notice any difference.

Sundancer

I had tons of them too, awful
it has lessened greatly since I started with using B12 ( as methyl and adenosylcobalamine), but come back when do not take potassium regularly.

I have pottasium pills, but I have heard that one should be careful taking pottasium supplements... Not sure if that is true

pamojja

heard that one should be careful taking pottasium supplements..

Potassium pills and capsules are usually limited to 99mg. Because if to much concentrated potassium comes in contact with the stomach wall it may hurt. On the other hand you can use potassium powders (bicarb, citrate, chloride..) and dissolve it well in water at much much higher doses and without risks. I take about 2.5 g of elemental potassium a day this way. But always start low and go slow.

Hi AndrewR,

I have been having extrasystoles for 2 years now. They were very frequent from the beginning, then they went away for a couple of months and now they're back (more than 20.000/day). I have tried beta blockers, calcium antagonists and other medication I was given. Nothing worked, so my cardiologist now suggested a catheter ablation. Not clear how all of this relates to CFS and to my other symptoms - but it would definitely be a huge improvement if I could get rid of these annoying and arrhythmic extra beats.

Take care!