• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Exposure

Hi,

I have had ME for over 20 years but I’ve been really poorly since having the Pfeizer vaccine in January. But what I wanted to ask about was that a couple of weeks ago I got exposed to some drain cleaner (sodium hydroxide). I have multiple chemical sensitivity so absolutely tried to stay away from any chemicals. However after trying vinegar and bicarbonate of soda to unblock a drain my wife poured some sodium hydroxide down the drain which ended up leaking onto a towel. I didn’t know this and picked up the towel with both hands and moved it later on.

Since as it has happened the skin on my hands and feet has been very irritated And I’ve had some rashes. This I can deal with I’m just worried that the sodium hydroxide is causing further system problems as I’m now having pain where am I kidneys are and bad fatigue in my arms and legs.

I Wondered if anybody had any ideas of how to detox a system from this particular chemical and also if anybody has any ideas about bouncing back from the Pfizer vaccine that would be fantastic.

Thank you ever so much lots of love, Zack

Rufous McKinney

any ideas about bouncing back from the Pfizer vaccine that would be fantastic.

please share- I am beginning to wonder if my cognitive and neurological is just quite a bit worse, post Pfizer.

This I can deal with I’m just worried that the sodium hydroxide is causing further system problems as I’m now having pain where am I kidneys are and bad fatigue in my arms and legs.

Well thats rather scary and panic generating.

I am thinking its mostly some simple basic chemicals that are basic...so the basic PH would have irritated your skin. but my sense is it probably would not go creating kidney problems, and it was a brief exposure.

Maybe its just the sort of coincidence type thing.

But I am not a doctor, and studied enough chemistry to be dangerous. (sodium oxygen hydrogen)

Viala

Since as it has happened the skin on my hands and feet has been very irritated And I’ve had some rashes. This I can deal with I’m just worried that the sodium hydroxide is causing further system problems as I’m now having pain where am I kidneys are and bad fatigue in my arms and legs.

Sounds like a chemical burn and/or some allergic reaction, maybe it's a good idea to go to a doctor. Caustic soda is nothing gentle.

Wishful

Sodium and hydroxide ions are abundant in a healthy body, so it's nothing like a toxin that is not usually found in a body, so there's nothing to 'detox'. A high concentration of it will cause localized chemical burns/irritation.

My (non-professional) guess is that the new pain and fatigue are not due to NaOH.

Irat

Hi,

I have had ME for over 20 years but I’ve been really poorly since having the Pfeizer vaccine in January. But what I wanted to ask about was that a couple of weeks ago I got exposed to some drain cleaner (sodium hydroxide). I have multiple chemical sensitivity so absolutely tried to stay away from any chemicals. However after trying vinegar and bicarbonate of soda to unblock a drain my wife poured some sodium hydroxide down the drain which ended up leaking onto a towel. I didn’t know this and picked up the towel with both hands and moved it later on.

I Wondered if anybody had any ideas of how to detox a system from this particular chemical and also if anybody has any ideas about bouncing back from the Pfizer vaccine that would be fantastic.

Thank you ever so much lots of love, Zack
Hi Zack,,,yeah I go downhill with symptoms for weeks too after an exposure,don t worry too much about,it will calm down again.....i can t detox or take any supplemets but i can tell you what others do after an exposure.

Lipsomal Vit C, which lowers the nitric oxide synthase
Nebulized Gluthiatone
Magnesium lowers NMDA activity
Epsom salt bath for detox ( start with a few second foot bath to see how your reacting) I can t tolerate it
B12
NAC

Kale,curcuma,lemon balm, red clover tea,and many more natural herbs and teas which helps your system to calm down,detox and lower inflammation ....

Last edited:

Shanti1

Administrator
Hi Zack- I agree with Wishful that it isn't a chemical that would need to be detoxed, but maybe the oxidative stress from such a strong alkaline substance threw your body into relapse as our immune systems tend to over-react to the slightest assault. Irat listed some nice supplements if you can tolerate them, I can't but a lot of people report that they help.