• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Experiences with "The Fibro Guy"?

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone has heard of/has had any experiences with "The Fibro Guy"? In addition to fibromyalgia, he also treats ME/CFS, POTS, etc. Website here: https://www.thefibroguy.com/about-the-fibro-guy/

It's really hard to find anything on his website describing what he actually does, but it seems like he's a kind of physical therapist mixed with a bit of pseudo-science? Also, his website has a vibe of "we cured all these people with different conditions in just a few months", which makes me naturally mistrustful.

But, there are enough amazing testimonials that I'm questioning my initial impression. I'm curious if anyone here knows anything about this person.

wabi-sabi

But, there are enough amazing testimonials that I'm questioning my initial impression.
Here's me being snarky. Testimonials are advertising, not data. They are meant to sway your judgment. The question is, is he as good at treatments as he is at advertising?

Take what you know about fibro-like a recent paper showing some autoimmunity-and ask yourself, is there any logical way what he's proposing could work? Are his methods consistent with human physiology and the mechanisms of the disease?

It's like this. I know next to nothing about cars. When it breaks, I take it to the mechanic who does....something. If he goes on about radiators and leaks and fluid I think-OK, sounds good and the car runs happy. If he goes on about feeding the mice that turn the wheels I think-Uh oh, maybe I will find a new mechanic.

wabi-sabi

I looked at the website (OK for 3 whole minutes) and I can't tell what exactly it is he does or how it is meant to work. You want to know that. Is he a PT? An exercise therapist? A gym rat? How is his workout different from all the other workouts you've tried that didn't do much?

He sounds like he's franchising his method- how does he teach it and certify practitioners are doing it correctly? What are his outcome criteria for success?

What is a "neurobiologcal response" and how does his framework change it? What does he think is going on "neurobiologically" with fibro? How does he decide what info his nervous system gets? What does he think information is, in a non-metaphorical sense, that a neuron would understand?

Fibromyalgia isn't something that people typically make "full recoveries" from. As Sagan would say-extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I can't find any evidence on his website. Just advertising.

Thanks for the reply! These are definitely some of the key concerns I have. Especially that it's really hard to tell what he actually does...

Nice quote about extraordinary evidence, and I agree. I guess I'm still puzzling over how he has so many amazing testimonials though...did he just pay these people to lie? That seems like a stretch. Maybe there's a small subset of patients that he somehow helps dramatically, and he just doesn't advertise the vast majority of patients who are unaffected/worsened by his approach?

wabi-sabi

Maybe there's a small subset of patients that he somehow helps dramatically, and he just doesn't advertise the vast majority of patients who are unaffected/worsened by his approach?
I certainly think this is plausible. I certainly don't think all the reviews are lies. I think people desperately want them to be true- just like you desperately want your fibro to go away.

But consider the problems with patient reported outcomes in general- you try something, it works for a bit, then stops working. If he doesn't follow up with people later on, or doesn't use objective markers like how long can you walk, then people's hopeful enthusiasm will make them feel better briefly, before going back to the chronic state of fibro.

People give their reviews when they are in the happy and hopeful stage. Three months later they're too sick and tired to do a review, so that data isn't captured.

Mouse girl

He could have written the testimonials. I get it, they do sway us when we so want to get better.

Just the name of "fibro guy" makes him sound like a unprofessional phony to me. There are known things that can help fibro, exercise being one of them if you don't also have CFS/ME.

You have to do what you feel is right, you could see him and if he tries to sell you loads of stuff, just leave or try some if you like. I think in general, anyone who claims to cure diseases that don't have a cure is a huge red flag.

It's very natural to be drawn in, i went to soooo many alternative peeps and docs and tried so many things, i can't even remember all of it. I wish I hadn't spent all that money or wasted my time. Others have found alot of help. I found some help but nothing that cured me or kept me from getting worse during tough times.

I wish you the best on your journey.