• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

experiences with paradox reactions to meds

Pearshaped

Have you ever had a paradox reaction to medication? for example more energy on sleepmedication, or more sleepy on stimulants? If so I like to hear more about that.
For a blogpost, I try to „dig deeper“on that topic. But it seems I chose a difficult topic🙄

Wishful

Many of us here seem to have responses to medication that are contrary to what we expect based on overly simplistic theories. Most health magazine articles will claim that antioxidants "are good for us!", but they make my ME worse. Of course, the "antioxidants are good for us" theory is from 1950's assumptions, and has long since been proven wrong, but it's still pushed by people who make money from it.

For ME, most of our 'theories' should better be classed as hypotheses lacking in actual evidence. "Wild guesses" might be even more accurate, so contrary responses are quite likely.

Wolfcub

I very rarely take any pharmaceuticals because I almost always have a terribly bad reaction to them. With herbs I have not had paradoxical reactions, but I have with substances such as caffeine, alcohol etc.

I have felt very much more relaxed after a small black coffee in the depths of the night when I couldn't sleep, and slept almost straight away after it. Now that was happening even when I had a bad shaky reaction to the same after I had woken up in the morning after a good night's sleep.

Also I had a paradoxical reaction to a homeopathic remedy last year, when it made me much worse and I had to stop taking it.

lenora

Hello Everyone....I just wanted to say that I can have paradoxical reactions to anything. Meds, vitamins/supplements (I've never tried herbs) but everything else can do it for me. I take that back about herbs. I went for acupuncture and was given herbs....which did nothing except taste foul. But everything can have the opposite effect...check it out the next time you're looking up something. So, when I get something, I don't know what I'm getting or more to the point, how it will react in my body.

I don't know if this gets worse the older you are (I'm 73) or just what. But I've been dealing with this for at least 35 yrs. and things have always been the same. Certain meds don't bother me, and fortunately they're ones that help....but usually 2 days is all I get out of something. I hope you all have been luck. Yours, Lenora.