• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

? Exercise for disabled PWCs with OI and PEM

xchocoholic

I do a slightly different form of exercise these days - I lift weights (obviously I dont have significant OI issues most of the time)

I lift weights because I've tried walking - I've tried gentle exercise - I've tried stretching - I've tried gradually increasing the amount I do - you get the picture - all failed - because of several years of this sort of approach I can, even now, barely walk without pain and am barely mobile most of the time. I find an hours training less demanding, less painful and most of the time less likely to cause PEM than walking 100m to my corner shop and back (100m total journey).

Good to hear that you've found something that works for you. And it's interesting that an hour of weight lifting is less likely to cause you to get PEM than the other activities.

I used to push through PEM, I used to just keep going until it was impossible, I've kept pushing until I've taken 2 hours to get a couple of hundred yards and another hour to haul myself up the stairs to my flat. In my case pushing on and ignoring PEM simply results in a decrease in ability not an increase - normally a marked decrease.

PEM is tough to gauge sometimes. If I've overdone it then my version of PEM now is being couchbound and taking 3 naps a day because I simply can't stay awake. I have to push myself through mild PEM if I want to eat, etc though since I get it from just trying to keep up with daily living.

In terms of weights trying to lift whilst PEM'd results in a 60% decrease in strength at the same perceived exertion level and a 40% decrease going all out - weights have numbers on - it's easy to tell - but the dangerous bit is that it results in a complete failure of endurance - whilst when not PEM'd I can train for an hour when PEM'd I can lift once, maybe twice and then thats it - the next 2-3 days (sometimes a lot longer) are a total write off.

PEM nails my endurance too. I was thinking about the weight part ... I'm find as far as lifting it a few times but then my muscles gave out on me. I was calling that an endurance problem ... I THINK we're saying the same thing ...

PEM should be taken seriously, it's an indication your body cant cope with simply surviving, giving it more to do when it cant cope will not improve strength or fitness - it will decrease them - at least in my experience.

I totally agree that PEM is to be taken seriously. I DIDN'T gain anything except muscle strength from this experiment ... I'd hoped that all this exercise would help my body detox and I'd see a reduction in PEM but that didn't happen.

In 16 months I've gone from being barely able to get off the bed/sofa (or occasionally floor) during a bad patch to being able to function minimially even during a crash - raw strength helps - before a 40% drop in strength was enough to completely incapacitate me, now I'm stronger the same drop isnt.

Great to hear this ...

However there is no way I will ever be able to do 25 situps without consequences, last time I tried 2 sets of 5 was bad enough to convince me it was a bad idea - and I do have abs of steel (they are currently operating under cover tho lol)

Hmm, I wonder why you can't do 25 sit ups. OK, it took me 4 1/2 months to go from 0 to 25 though. I went from 0 to 3 to 7 to 10 ... I was just able to increase these like all of my other exercises.

All I can say is PEM shouldnt be ignored, whilst at low levels most of the time it's possible to exercise it's ultimately fairly pointless as your body isnt in a condition to benefit - a bit like it's possible to do a 10 mile run with a broken ankle - but it wont improve your fitness at all and stands a chance of doing significant injury.

I sure hope I didn't make things worse by exercising through my PEM. I have no idea how anyone could tell if it did ...

BTW the reason you can feel better whilst and for a few hours after exercising even PEM'd is because your body produces endorphins in response to exercise - in fact when I first started I used to train at least partially because it actually gave me a few painfree hours - which was a novel experience then. That doesnt mean it's good to exercise PEM'd - it just means your body can be a bit thick at times.

Anyway, I wish you every sucess with your endevour - but please dont push too hard - even if it feels good lol

thanks ...

edit - just read your post at the top of this page - more or less any leg or core exercise should help with OI - at least in theory - as functioning muscle should help prevent blood pooling in the legs - pretty sure I've read somewhere that fighter pilots use leg muscle contractions to help conteract blood pooling caused by high G manouvers.

I tried leg exercises in PT a year or so ago for my OI and they didn't help. I don't appear to be getting blood pooling in my legs.

tc ... x

PS ... I'm still under the weather and fuzzy headed from having severe allergies this week and taking anti histamines so I hope this makes sense ...

xchocoholic

Hi Kerrilyn,

Sorry, I haven't replied to this yet but I'll have to get back to this later. I'm exhausted now and still fuzzy headed from taking anti histamines ... tc ... x

toddm1960

One thing to remember, if you're not orthostatic hypotensive you're probably not pooling in your peripheries. Most likely you're already over constricting and working those muscles won't affect any change for you.

I also have been trying to exercise for the past 6 years and can't seem to get off square one. PEM just wipes me out, day 1 I can do 5 minutes on a Shwinn Airdyne, day 2 I can't even do 3 minutes, but feel like I'm working 10 times harder. Day 3, 4 and 5 I'm a train wreck, I'm lucky to get to the bathroom, and on day 6 I start all over. Still at square one. It's tough because I was a personal trainer when I got sick and worked out 6 days a week for over 2 hours a day.

I think we all need to try exercise and see how we react, but in the end I think it's going to be like most treatments.......they help half of us and hurt the other half.

xchocoholic

Hi toddm

Forgive me if I'm wrong but it seems like you've missed an important part of exercising with CFS / OI ...

I can't ride a bike either which is why I lay down for my exercises and REST if my heart starts feeling like it's being stimulated too much ... I'm laying down either on my back or my stomach, except for a couple of arm exercises but then I lay right back down and get my blood back where it needs to be.

The purpose of exercising this way is because it's the only way my upper body (brain, heart, kidneys, adrenals, liver, stomach, etc etc ) is getting the blood, aka nutrients, it needs to function .. I don't get PEM this way ... I hope that didn't sound harsh ... tc ... x

xchocoholic

Hi Kerrilyn,

Sorry I forgot about this ... That sounds like an allergic reaction to me. Allergies are REALLY hard to pinpoint sometimes ... I just recently stopped the Enzymatic MB12 again cause it was causing me to feel like my adrenals were stuck in high gear. I'd noticed that with Metagenics Vessel Care too ..

I take the aminos from time to time ... I try to remember to take them with my vitimins now since I noticed that supplement manufacturers used them as co-factors in some vitamins to make them absorbable.

Hopefully, since you're improving overall, your last symptoms will fade away too ... : )

I need to get back into exericising to but like you, LIFE keeps getting in the way ... Laying down while exercising is it for me though .. I have a tough enough time standing up while doing the dishes, I can't handle anymore ...

I couldn't do any sit ups at first but now I'm ok ... kow ... just go slow ... eventually, it will get easier ... IMHO, we need to do core work ... tc ... x

toddm1960

Not a problem tc, I was more talking to my case with orthostatic hypertension. I don't get dizzy or pass out when standing, so sitting on a bike is fine for me. Now could I do a stairmaster or treadmill......not even close. I get PEM if have to walk to the bathroom too many times in one day......:)