• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Evolutionary differences in the brain

Wishful

I noticed a blog on Healthrising about a link between ME and LCovid in the brainstem. What caught my attention was the mention that it's the most primitive (earliest-evolved) part of the brain. Does that mean differences in the cells in different parts of the brain? Could the glial cells in the most primitive parts respond differently than those parts that evolved later? The newer cells might have evolved a protection from ME, but the older ones didn't "get the upgrade".

Hmmm, I just noticed that the estimated prevalence of ME is under the percentage needed for evolutionary selection (.3%). Furthermore, the number of people who would be unable to reproduce effectively due to ME would be even lower, so there wouldn't be pressure to develop immunity to ME. Also, ME might be due to more recently evolved changes in mammalian bodies, and there hasn't been time or pressure to weed out the susceptible individuals.

cheeseater

Thyroid disease (hypothyroidism) is problematic is modern times. Hypothyroidism has evolved as an evolutionary selection process, because people with severe hypothyroidism are often the only ones to survive through a prolonged famine. "Evolution" would have to say that hypothyroidism is survival of the fittest.

How many other diseases can be said to ensure survival?

Wishful

While it's not a 'disease', sickness behaviour is a survival mechanism that isn't pleasant to experience.

Keep in mind that evolution isn't for the benefit of the organism; it's just the gene combinations that end up continuing. Evolution isn't a force affecting future outcomes, it's a statistical record of past events.