• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO READ THIS. Great improvement by diet change

nina22

I did an elimination diet when I wasn't sure what illness I had and I've been pretty consistent in eliminating gluten, dairy and eating WAY less meat. It hasn't changed my baseline CFS either but what it did do was eliminate the symptoms of inflammation that WEREN'T CFS so I could actually find what was wrong with me and focus on the real illness. It has also helped my emotional state during crashes (I think because it's helped balance my hormones which balances your emotions) and that has been worth it's weight in gold! So I would still recommend doing an elimination diet to others, if CFS is an immunity issue, removing allergens from your diet will build your immunity, and if it's an inflammatory illness it will reduce your inflammation (which is why you can eat an allergen causing food later with less reaction, because you've lowered your inflammation levels in your whole body.) and if it's neither, well it's was worth a shot and I still feel healthier all around.

The one thing I have found to help my CFS symptoms is increasing my vitamin D supplements to 3000 iu and taking St. John's Wort daily. Vitamin D rebuilds adrenal glands (energy reserves) and St John's wort is a natural mood enhancer. The first week I took them, I extended one good day to four days in a row (unheard of for me) and then I stopped taking them for two weeks to see if I was imagining it and went back to being bedridden every second day. I'm back on them three weeks now and it's taken a week to feel stronger again but I am able to do chores or lift things, get winded, rest about an hour and then go do something else! Normally I'd be bedridden for two days as soon as I exert myself. I still have sick days but it's a marked difference. And natural supplements have the benefit of very little side effects so trying them won't send you in a drug tailspin, they'll just either help or not. As always, listen to your own body and good luck my friends!

Wishful

It did say: "Decrease high-fat foods. Your gut doesn’t like a lot of red meats or fatty foods." Glyphosate's effects on humans is still without clear evidence of harm, so it's up to individuals to decide how much effort to put into avoiding it.

How much belief can we put into an article that doesn't mention chicken soup as a treatment for viral infection? :)

if it's an inflammatory illness it will reduce your inflammation (which is why you can eat an allergen causing food later with less reaction, because you've lowered your inflammation levels in your whole body.) and if it's neither, well it's was worth a shot and I still feel healthier all around.

Harvard magazine also covered the role of food in inflammation in very detail: https://harvardmagazine.com/2019/05/inflammation-disease-diet

Some of their discussion around how the foods of our ancestors evolved over time and how it relates to today's diseases makes sense to me.

Strawberry

I found with the elimination diet that organic is a must. When covid hit and grocery stores were empty, I couldn’t get organic chicken for a long time. I was reacting to the cheap chicken they delivered! I was going to extremes to get fresh food and organic anything. I have now found organic canned chicken and am slowly stocking up on that. I’ll try to grow greens this year.

I’ve been mostly gluten free for ages, I’ve wondered if I tried organic old wheat if I could eat it? Wheat has been genetically modified to have high gluten, and they use roundup on the entire crop just before harvest to dry the crop and reduce mold... My brother has 50 year old wheat in his garage, (my family is/was Mormon and so we still do the food storage and prep) and I want to plant some and see what germinates and (hopefully) harvest my own. If I can eat that, I’ll grow my own for the occasional slice of toast with a fresh tomato on it!

Wishful

If I can eat that, I’ll grow my own for the occasional slice of toast with a fresh tomato on it!

Do you realize just how much labour goes into growing/harvesting/processing a slice of bread? I have plenty of room for growing crops, but I tried harvesting grains and seeds by hand, and it's just ridiculously difficult to collect even a cupful. I didn't even collect a cupful of timothy grass seed before accepting that it just wasn't practical. I also borrowed a hand-cranked flour mill. Enough flour for one loaf of bread is a major physical workout.

There's machinery that can do this work, but do you really want to invest tens of thousands of dollars to produce a few loaves of bread per year? Financially speaking, you're much better off buying flour or bread from a trustworthy supplier.

I really like the idea of growing my own food, but I find that it's a totally unrealistic dream, especially with ME. :(

Strawberry

:lol: I’m sure you are totally right! I still would like to try though. Btw I grew up on stone ground homemade bread. I can use my moms old grinder. I’d have to get the old rancid wheat out of the grinding stone first though.

@Treeman i will have to try that recipe. I rarely have a craving for bread and pasta, but it’s worth trying on a good day. Trying to bake that is...

Do you realize just how much labour goes into growing/harvesting/processing a slice of bread? I have plenty of room for growing crops, but I tried harvesting grains and seeds by hand, and it's just ridiculously difficult to collect even a cupful. I didn't even collect a cupful of timothy grass seed before accepting that it just wasn't practical. I also borrowed a hand-cranked flour mill. Enough flour for one loaf of bread is a major physical workout.

If you have any friends or contacts in South America, Asia or Africa ask them to get you some flour (grains are probably not allowed to across border). Most of the world still hasn't switched to commercial farming and grow food the natural way. Some specialty stores have started similar approaches (e.g., many of the pulses/lentils in Costco come from Asia from small farmers who have never had to use roundup or pesticides). You may even find these in Asian/African/South American stores.

Ladycreole03

After almost 25 wasted years of CFS I have found something that if is not a complete cure, it is an enormous improvement.
Words cannot describe the difference in how I feel.

many will probably read this and dismiss it, just as I didmultiple times over the years.

How i wish I could have those decisions back.

It seems overwhelmingly difficult to do at the beginning, but in fact it is extremely easy, especially once you start seeing results.

There may be moments when you will feel bad and want some comfort food but don’t give in, I made this mistake many times over the years and didn’t stay the course.

It is unlikely to help everyone but I am extremely confident that for those that give it a proper go, it will drastically change the lives of more people than those it won’t.

It’s the FOODS I’ve been eating that have been causing the problems.

I eat mainly vegetables and fruit.
Small amounts of meat.

no dairy or wheat. I think gluten is the problem as I’ve now introduced gluten free bread and it seems to be ok.

I also keep anything premade, that has preservatives, colourings, chemicals, sugar, etc. to a minimum.

I began to see a difference after two weeks and it keeps getting better with time .

I would urge others to gove it at least a six month trial.

I had zero stomach symptoms.

I know of at least eight others who have seen the same results

I think the cause is due to inflammation, the immune system and possibly the makeup of gut bacteria

I always thought that there was no way foods could make me feel as terrible as I did, especially foods I had always previously eaten without issue.

I WAS WRONG

And it has cost me everything.

Don’t waste another day before giving it a proper trial.

Any questions please ask
May I have a typical meal day for you? Thx!

knackers323

I eat probably 80 percent vegetables and fruit.
The rest is beef chicken pork and fish.
Also gluten free bread and occasionally cheese which doesn’t seem to be causing an issue.

So it seems the problem was mostly due to gluten and dairy.
It’s still hard to get my head around how much of a difference it’s made.

Even more so is the fact I had no noticeable issues with these foods until I got a dose of really bad stomach cramps which left me with the cfs symptoms and I guess, this problem with these foods.

It won’t work for everyone but it’s definitely worth a trial for a couple of months