• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ethyl 3-Hydroxyhexanoate (EHX) Is Antiviral For Coxsackievirus B In Vivo

Hip

My wife got it the day before and 24 hours later everything was fine again. Which almost certainly points to Noro.

The enterovirus I caught (coxsackievirus B4) which triggered my ME/CFS caused similar gastrointestinal symptoms lasting for 24 hours in many who caught it.

In many people my CVB4 viral infection would start as a gastrointestinal upset lasting for about 24 hours, in others it might begin as a a herpangina sore throat.

If you look at these acute symptoms of enterovirus on MEpedia, you see that it can produce a range of symptoms.

Norovirus has never been connected to ME/CFS in any study, and ME/CFS doctors do not test for this.

Dude

After reading the article, you might be right. They are actually quite similar in symptoms. Never thought about that. I wonder if sofosbuvir could help us as it seems to be effective against several rna viruses (dengue, chikingunya)?

Hip

I wonder if sofosbuvir could help us as it seems to be effective against several rna viruses (dengue, chikingunya)?

10 years ago it was hoped that sofosbuvir would treat enterovirus, but an in vitro test found it unfortunately has no effect against coxsackievirus B. This comment is where the negative test result was posted on this forum.

Though the chronic non-cytolytic enterovirus infections found in ME/CFS are different to the acute enterovirus infections normally used in viral testing in vitro, so it's possible that sofosbuvir could still have some effects against chronic enterovirus.

Have you tried oxymatrine? This is Dr Chia's usual treatment for enterovirus ME/CFS, and it works for a small subset of patients.

Last edited:

Dude

I tried to source the original from chia. But i couldnt find a seller in Europe. It seems its only available in the states. I then orderd something similiar, forgot the name. A tiger was on the package. But i never received it.
What about the Pleconaril thats mentioned in the Article?

Hip

https://www.biosynth.com/p/FP27098/153168-05-9-pleconaril

It is available, but only for research purposes and probably toxic.

Interesting, but unfortunately the amounts of pleconaril being sold are too small for human dosing, which requires 400 mg three times daily.

This is from Dr Chia's study:
Four patients with CFS and either persistently raised antibody titres for CVB or echoviruses and/or positive enteroviral RNA of the peripheral blood leucocytes were treated with Pleconaril, an anti-capsid agent specific for uncoating of enterovirus and rhinovirus, obtained through a compassionate use protocol of Viropharma Inc, Exton, Pennsylvania, USA.

Three patients had no symptomatic improvement while on or after one week of drug treatment, at a dose of 400 mg three times a day, and there was no change of antibody titre after the treatment.

One patient had a moderate symptomatic improvement while taking Pleconaril 200 mg three times a day for one month, along with a fourfold decrease of antibody titres for CVB4 and echoviruses 7 and 11. However, she relapsed about one month later, and did not respond to a further month of treatment. As of March 2004, the oral form of Pleconaril is no longer available for investigational use.

I used Ethyl for a month. On the first day, I felt a huge level of internal agitation with 5 drops of the Sigma product. On the second day, I decided to use just 1 drop. For two days I felt absolute remission from the constant weight I feel in my head and my brain exhaustion. After that, I couldn't replicate these results anymore.

In 10 years and almost 80 substances, this is the first time that my symptoms have remitted, even if extremely quickly. Only the severe brain fog (which I think is ADHD) was not alleviated. I don't know what this rapid remission meant and what I should do from now on to repeat this effect with other drugs, much less do I have any idea of the etiology of my disease.

My current titer for CVB1 is 1:256. I used equilibrant for 55 days, and the only thing it did was drop from 1:512 to 1:256. Nothing beyond that.

Hip

I used Ethyl for a month. On the first day, I felt a huge level of internal agitation with 5 drops of the Sigma product. On the second day, I decided to use just 1 drop. For two days I felt absolute remission from the constant weight I feel in my head and my brain exhaustion. After that, I couldn't replicate these results anymore.

That does not sound like your temporary improvements in symptoms derived from an antiviral action of EHX, because normally it would take many weeks or months for an antiviral to take effect.

Someone just posted a mouse study here showing that antibiotics like ampicillin reduce coxsackievirus B titres by 10-fold. This might be an interesting experiment for those with coxsackievirus B infections.

Someone just posted a mouse study here showing that antibiotics like ampicillin reduce coxsackievirus B titres by 10-fold. This might be an interesting experiment for those with coxsackievirus B infections.
Interesting. I took three antibiotics for a few months and felt nothing, but worse. I was in lambda, Equilibrant and now on lamivudine and tenofovir for one month and nothing seems to improve. I start to wonder if EV is really part of my problem. I don't feel better pacing or resting. I feel like my symptoms are more similar to ICF than CFS, actually.

Hip

Interesting. I took three antibiotics for a few months and felt nothing, but worse. I read a post yours about a drug called Emantine, if I'm not mistaken. But I can't find anymore it. Can you get me the link, please?

It's here, but emetine may be too toxic to the heart to use long term.

Hip

@Hip does it make any sense for you, trying Alpha-2b after failling Lambda?

Were you one of the people trying interferon lambda? It's not clear if lambda is as effective as interferon alpha or beta for enteroviruses, since lambda has not been tested for enterovirus ME/CFS.

Interferon alpha is expensive (something like $20,000 for a few month's course), it is hard for patients to tolerate (as it causes symptoms to worsen, and may trigger depression), and although major improvements often occur, patients tend to relapse back to baseline after 4 to 12 months. This is why Dr Chia now rarely uses interferon. If it were not for the relapse, interferon would be a viable treatment.

If Dr Chia does use interferon these days, I understand he uses interferon beta, but reserves this for severe hospitalised bedbound patients. He finds that giving a few weeks of interferon beta can get these bedbound patients doing short walks around the hospital.

The problem with interferon alpha and beta is that after a few courses, the body starts to make antibodies which disable it. So taking repeated courses of interferon will not work, because of these antibodies.

One way around the antibody problem might be to use interferon suppositories, which unlike injections do not elicit anti-interferon antibodies. I speculate in this post that it might be possible to take a course of injected interferon to get you into remission, and thereafter take regular interferon suppositories in order to maintain remission and prevent the relapse that normally occurs with interferon therapy.

The problem with interferon alpha and beta is that after a few courses, the body starts to make antibodies which disable it. So taking repeated courses of interferon will not work, because of these antibodies.
I know that is very likely that I get a short period remission. I think the best of this would be to comprove if I have a chronic infection causing my symptoms.