• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Erithromycin, Azithromycin, Clarithromycin

Mark

I came across this video (nicely done, with a rather nice soundtrack). "Of the 99 patients who were treated with azithromycin, 58 reported an improvement of symptoms. No patients were worse at the end of treatment. Side effects were minor bowel problems that resolved by dividing the daily dosage." Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a reference to the study this refers to. Any clues?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZlYaVZqSjI&feature=related

I then found this very informative explanation by a GP of the differences between Erithromycin, Azithromycin, and Clarithromycin.

Interestingly, he highlights that erithromycin can be undesirable due to its damaging effects, especially when re-administered, the apparent tolerance built up to it, and the short half-life. He seems to say that Azithromycin is better...I got a bit lost in the middle...but then goes on to say that Clarithromycin is the antibiotic of choice, for several reasons, including greater efficacy against mycobacteria (toxic mold?) such that it's even better than the other semi-synthetic choice, azithromycin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqWThRfzQ9c&NR=1

In the affected members of my family, including myself, one of the only issues in our family medical history is penicillin allergy, and one of us has been caning the erithroymcin over the years and now has serious bowel damage, plus I am looking to clear a hypothesised fungal infection in my gut, so this all sounds like it could be quite relevant to me, and to us - I'm thinking clarithromycin might be worth a try for me. A poll on allergy to these antibiotics might be in order...

Anybody had good results with clarithromycin?

Jenny

Hi Mark

Azithromycin is used by ME patients trying an antibiotic combination to treat chlamydia pneumonia. The rationale is that you need several different abx to treat different forms of the bacterium. Many report improvements after a year or so of treatment.

See http://www.cpnhelp.org/

These combos are also used in Lyme treatments.

I'm now on my third experiment with one of these combos: doxy 300 mg each day, azith 500mg 3 days a week, tinidazole for 3 days every other week (haven't got to that point yet as this is the one that slams you.)

The first time I tried azith it was with high doses of penicillin V and I felt so ill I had to stop. The second time was the same as my current regime and after 6 weeks I was getting worse and worse so had to stop.

I'm just giving it one more try as I've got lots of these meds left over and I still hear good reports if you can stay the course. I've also heard that clarithromycin is better than azith.

In the UK though GPs are reluctant to prescribe azith as it's very expensive.

aquariusgirl

I had an allergic reaction to erythromycin at the very beginning of my illness. I had a sudden onset respiratory infection. Swollen glands in my throat I thought I would choke on. Fatigue. Weakness.
Given Erythromycin for an apparent bacterial infection (STUPID doctor)....got a rash....and tipped over into full scale CFS.

I have heard others report bad experiences with this abx.

FWIW.

C

Cloud

Yes, lots of experience with these ABX. Well, not so much with Erythromycin....it's candy. Clarythromycin gives me a subtle slow improvement over about a month then plateaus. Azythromycin gives me a dramatic improvement immediately with 24 hours, but only lasts 3-4 days. I believe both responses are the anti-inflammatory effects of the drug. If it were actually affecting an infection, I would not just Plataea..I would continue to improve, herx or something......I have gone up to 10 months on several of these ABX at different times over the years, and it's always this same response. I am not allergic to any of them...but my liver doesn't care for them much.

jewel

I always feel almost immediately better on azythromycin. Never had clarythromycin. I've been on azythromycin for acute URI/sinus or UTIs. The docs have never been willing to give me zithromax for a period of months for cfs/fms symptoms... even if due to anti-inflammatory properties, I sure feel like a different person. J.

Lala

Hi,
I too had success with these atb. I am on CAP againts cpn and am on doxy, azi plus tinidazole in pulses. Erythromycine is an old drug and not prescribed very often. It is usually not so well tolerated as clari or azi. Some doctors moreover often mistake herx for allergy.
Treatment of CFS and immune deficiency take a very long time. I had serious immune deficit and for example my complement was so low, that it was not measurable. I could see first numbers in medical tests appearing after one year and 3 months on antibiotics and it took 3 and half year to got to normal range.

xrayspex

Hey, just did a search on abx because had a weird couple of days after did one day dose of amoxicillin for dental appt.
I felt pretty ok that day and higher energy/wired day after than crash headache fluish today 3rd day since. Wondering if means its not good to do with dental appts or should do more.

Right before my "downfall" the summer of '89 when I was still going strong, working out, playing, work full time etc I got a rash after swimming in a lake and they said it was rosacea and gave me Erythromycin and I also got angsty around then and they gave me prozac and my gut got weird and they gave me zantac.....so I will never know what did what but the combo before bed really hurt my gut then I came down with a gallstone which was crazy cus was in top shape and then the surgery for that did me in wahlah cfs.......but I read later that Erythromycin can be related to causing gall stones. I am super mcs now but I was back then a bit too and was mostly a straightedge when that happened so no other drug or alcohol or cigs in the mix.

anyway, I wonder about trying trial of abx, I thought doxy was sposed to be a good one for m.e. but I also feel afraid as I dont know what role Erythromycin had in my demise, given those other 2 meds, neither of which I can tolerate a speck of since its hard to ferret it out, but i did the Erythromycin for a couple months and it preceded and certainly didnt prevent me sliding into some sort of permanently compromised state. So I have this fear that abx might somehow make a virus worse (found out xmrv+). Sounds like really depends on which one you take.

xrayspex

huh, I just did a little searching and amoxy contraindicated with ebv, now its been like 28 years since officially had it but it was recurring in me for like 5 years so seems should steer clear of amoxy just to be on safe side.

leaves

Im gonna start azytromycin tmw as an immune modulator (and maybe kill some beasties at the same time)
I am very excited (really could use some improvement) so keep your fingers crossed for me...

Tony

Still working on it all..
Interesting thread Mark. I gave Azithro a shot at 250mg per day for a month early this year and it helped with the Chlam Pneumonia I have but after stopping it I slowly fell back. I'm going to give it another shot over the next few months with probiotics in between.

I didn't know it had immune modulating properties either...so I googled and it does seem to have an effect on some cytokines and other things. According to De Meirleir it also has some anti-viral properties.

Good luck with it leaves!...:)

leaves

im taking the zithromax for 2 weeks now. it makes me feel a bit better, about 2 hours after I take it or so, but no huge effects..

C

Cloud

Xray......I was feeling better after the dentist when they would use the Lidocaine with Epi. Of course that feel good is short lived and may even cause a crash after. I now request the Lido without Epi.

leaves

almost finished my 1 month trial. I notice temporary relief from brain inflammation. Possibly because it reduces immune activity in the glial cells that protect the neurons in brain http://aboutmecfs.org/Trt/TrtAzithromycin.aspx. So not sure if that is a good sign. No improvement in energy that i can tell. So I think ill not continue it.