• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Endothelial Nitric Oxide Synthase and POTS

Mor

But yeah, I do have this worsening reaction to almost every antioxidant I've tried, my CFS symptoms go from mild to moderate while on them in a matter of less than a week.

My take is that some of the benefit of certain supplements are being lost because we tend to look for a quick fix. I recently made a post about ART, but I also mentioned supplements, so I will quote it below:

The difficulty is that you can feel more tired by resting deeply, which in itself can make things difficult, as you could almost be persuaded that you're getting worse as a result. But in time you do better, even if it means waiting for the results.

I suspect many supplements that may make us feel less energetic may have a similar effect in the long run, by preventing us from overdoing it, even if the popular supplements (which we're all mostly aware) push us faster, but possibly crash us years later. Slow and steady may indeed win the race, and if true, it would explain why there aren't as many full remissions. People don't want to go down before they can get up. In my opinion, this applies both to ART and supplements that can prevent overstimulation, or rather the more unpopular supplements.

Mor

There's a whole thread on that, and some mention of nitric oxide in that thread:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/sick-but-never-sick.39474/

Thanks! Looks like the post was from Crux. I guess it can all fit together if someone has the time to put all the pieces in place. I suppose Cruz and Adreno have done a little of that.

Increased Nitric Oxide production might be involved with resistance to certain viral and bacterial infections.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15643342

But if someone is producing too much, that's when things can go awry.

Last edited:

Mor

If excess NO is why I get sick less after CFS, and why I get POTS, and why I have very obvious veins showing to the point where the hospital guy said I have the most perfect veins for finding where to stick the needle (NO might be involved there as well?), and why I seemed stuck in fight and flight at times in my life; or rather fight or flight was causing excess NO, then things have become very interesting in how it can all come together. I guess for many of us, we may indeed fall into the whole NO/ONOO cycle.

The problem is when one person says they don't, and the whole thing is tossed away or dismissed. We can't all be the same. In fighting to defend our own particular supplements, we may be overlooking what could help others. The problem is we all tend to project; even Fred did greatly in my opinion. Now I think probably a majority of us fall into such a cycle, but people who believe pushing more and more energy focused supplements have the loudest voices. Pushing through might even be harmful if it's said to the wrong person. I don't think such a viewpoint should be overlooked.

Anyway, interesting stuff guys.

sb4

I have been thinking about pots and cold. Cold causes vasoconstriction making the blood volume more normal, it also causes stress so increases a1AR activation (autoantibodies), and also increases eNOS...