• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ending sympathetic activation

Oliver3

Herbs/ supplements. Flavonoids and sulphorophine have a great effect on my anxiety levels...don't know if it's MCAS related or these genes or smthg else.
Same thing with thymoquinone

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Herbs/ supplements. Flavonoids and sulphorophine have a great effect on my anxiety levels...don't know if it's MCAS related or these genes or smthg else.
Same thing with thymoquinone
Do you have tachycardia? Have they helped you lower your heart rate?

junkcrap50

Jyoti

I'm in a Facebook group for people with ME/CFS and LC experimenting with SGB. From what I understand, it really can make a huge difference for some people with LC. Huge.

I do not know of anyone with (non LC) ME/CFS, particularly of any duration, who has had definitively good results. This is anecdotal, of course, but I know of a number of people who really gave it a great try, spent a lot of money and time, traveled, etc. for no significant gains.

Hate to be a bummer, because I got really excited about this solution a while back, when the first paper came out. It is elegant and relatively easy.

junkcrap50

Do they do this for tachycardia and things like POTS, do you know?
I don't know a whole lot. The best info is on Facebook groups. But I hate using them. I have an appointment next week where I'm going to ask for it from my fibro/pain doctor, but the first time asking didn't really work.

Jyoti

Intriguing they think they've found the genes tho..may lead to novel therapies
That'd be nice! Let's hope.

This is an extremely temporary fix, but I find it not only helps at bedtime and any time I am particularly 'sympathetic, ' but I am also noticing that my parasympathetic seems to showing up more often as I do this exercise 4-5 times a day.

Judee

I took some berberine for it's supposed antiviral help but noticed the bottle says "cardiovascular" so looked it up and found I had bookmarked this article. I don't remember reading it all before. I like what it says about excess norepinephrine and sympathetic neurotransmitters though:
https://www.newsmax.com/Health/Dr-B...ibrillation-supplements/2016/06/08/id/732967/
"One study found that berberine could significantly inhibit the heart damage that is caused by excess norepinephrine.

Sympathetic neurotransmitters are elevated in the blood and the heart muscle of people who are suffering a heart attack. This increases the likelihood of an arrhythmia that can lead to progressive, pathological damage to the heart muscle.
(I have always wondered if this disease damages our heart. I believe it does.)

One animal study found that berberine could lower the level of sympathetic neurotransmitters — both in the blood and in heart tissues — and offered considerable protection against congestive heart failure.

I have written in the past about balancing input to the heart from the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems. Berberine helps bring these opposing neurotransmitters back into balance by increasing the cholinergic (parasympathetic) receptors on the heart’s cells.

One of the most deadly types of arrhythmia is called ventricular fibrillation. Berberine has been shown to reduce the risk of this arrhythmia.

In addition, berberine improves heart contraction strength and reduces the irritability of cardiac nerves and muscles."

There's more to the page if you want to click on the link.

I'm trying the beta blocker Metoprolol Succinate 12.5mgs twice a day prescribed by my new doctor and it really helps with the tachycardia. So far it also helps with sleep too.

However, my lungs and heart hurt more on it and bps are dropping again...lowest so far has been 85/53. When that happens (which is pretty often) I feel lousy and fatigue is magnified. :(

Plus, now if I want to go off this, there is a black box warning that I'll have to wean off of it over a number of weeks. Not sure how I can because it's timed released and I'm on the lowest dose. Oh, well. Will talk to my doctor when the time comes.

Still I would really love to find something natural instead.

Last edited:
https://bigthink.com/neuropsych/anxiety-gene-brain-turn-off/
Does anybody know anything about these genes and/ or any natural or unnatural substances that may help control them?
Seeing as tho the sympathetic response is so deranged in us, maybe research into these genes could be a gane changer for us?
longum 1714 may help, was great for me. i used lifted naturals mood boost, just wish i had got the histamine free product:p

Judee

Dr Berg has a video on beneficial mushrooms and mentioned that Reishi calms down the fight or flight mechanism. He says it at about the 5:29 mark or so on this video: The Mind-Blowing Benefits of 4 Mushrooms.

I also found a new website for checking drug interactions as drugs.com doesn't always have the herbals or supplements to check against the Rx meds.

Here is that other site I found where I checked Metopropol with Reishi: https://hellopharmacist.com/drug-herbal-interactions/reishi-mushroom-with-metoprolol.

https://hellopharmacist.com/drug-herbal-interactions

Judee

longum 1714
So I don't get anxiety to the same degree I did in my younger ME years. It's more so the heart racing all the time. Did you notice if Longum 1714 helped with that? Plus, do you have a source that's not so expensive? Most of the ones on Amazon are pretty pricey. :(