• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Email Diagnosis OK in UK - not for Dr Myhill though...

As part of the cost-cutting drive, UK is now proposing to do a lot of diagnosis via email to GPs:
http://www.onmedica.com/newsarticle.aspx?id=1293991b-700f-4f63-b0e2-2872ce845c3a

This is interesting in light of the case against Dr Myhill, which had two parts. First part of the case was the website - which original GMC expert witness said classified as being like writing a book, or an opinion piece, and not something that related to questioning her ability to practice clinically. Second part of the case concerned B12 injections diagnosed and prescribed remotely. There were two parts to that, in turn: firstly, of course, that B12 is not part of the guidelines for ME (hence why Dr Myhill is now allowed to practice as a doctor again so long as she doesn't treat us effectively). But that part was never mentioned in the hearings: instead the focus was on remote diagnosis, and how it's supposedly bad practice to diagnose via phone consultation and questionnaire rather than face-to-face (which is of course impossible for many of us).

So it's most interesting, in terms of the collapse of any legitimate case against Dr Myhill, that one of the very things that she has just been disciplined for, claiming that to be bad clinical practice, is now being suggested to be rolled out nationwide. It's also interesting that NHS Direct, of course, gives treatment advice over the phone, and there are news stories querying that today as well. Compared to all these practices, Dr Myhill's rigorous questionnaire plus extensive phone consultation is dramatically more responsible, which I think gives an interesting perspective on the case.

Enid

Very interesting Mark - I see the new Minister of Health has overridden NICE twice recently too (eg Altzheimers) Since we know far more about ME/CFS from all the research available on the Internet and too often unable to attend anything seems a step in the right direction once all the proper tests are done.

What's the overriding of Alzheimer's NICE guidelines you referred to, Enid? I must have missed those - I'm a bit surprised since I follow Alzheimer's news as closely as I can too.

Looks like they are trying to roll back on the email diagnosis idea now...but the point remains that if this sort of idea is even conceivable - not to mention the existence of NHS Direct - there's no way this part of the case against Dr Myhill (the use of phone consultations and questionnaires when a face-to-face consultation is impractical) can fairly amount to grounds for suspension of her licence to practice.