• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

elevated Parvovirus B19 antibodies

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I'm not sure this answers your question at all but many of us here do seem to have IgM deficiency and it was speculated to me by a doctor that testing for recent infections using IgM (at least) for people with deficiency might not be accurate. I did email a lab and one of their technicians confirmed this as well.

However, I do think a lot of the ME doctors do use high IgG titers as an indication of possible viral reactivation.

Hope someone answers that better for you.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Also Shanti1 mentioned that the doctor she saw in Florida tests for Parvo, I believe. He also has a book out that I got from Hoopladigital as a temporary loan through my library system. I haven't read that far yet...only can manage a small amount of pages at a time but if you were interested maybe you could see if you can access the book as well.

Anyway, here is the thread where she talked about him. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-the-us-still-treat-me-with-antivirals.88113/

Shanti1

Administrator
Also Shanti1 mentioned that the doctor she saw in Florida tests for Parvo, I believe. He also has a book out that I got from Hoopladigital as a temporary loan through my library system.
I just looked in my copy of the book. Dr. Dantini considers anything 4x or higher above the top value of the reference range to be a potential positive for IgG for parvovirus.

Pyrrhus

By the way, parvovirus B19 is one of the few persistent infections that can actually be found in blood, since it primarily infects blood cells.

So a PCR blood test may actually be helpful in diagnosing parvovirus B19, unlike with other persistent infections.

Treating it, however, is much harder...

Pyrrhus

@Pyrrhus Do you know if one would expect to see some hints, like low RBC count or joint pain if someone had parvo as a smoldering infection contributing to their ME?

Off-hand I don't know, but that's a good question.

I only know that a persistent parvovirus B19 infection can come with severe disabling fatigue, but I don't think it comes with PEM.