• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Elemental diet for SIBO

Bergkamp

So I've had SIBO for almost 2 years. My main symptom is excessive belching - I belch about 5 hours non-stop per day, and those aren't normal burps, but like massive eruptions that take >10 seconds. It's taking a huge toll on my body (which is also dealing with ME and POTS) and mental state. Honestly it's something that's just not tolerable in the long term.

I've been tested positive for hydrogen SIBO and there was a little methane as well (breath test). My doc suspects I also have hydrogen sulfide but I can't test for that since I'm in Europe. I've tried basically every SIBO treatment there is (antibiotics, different diets, herbal antibiotics, etc.) I also have slow motility/delayed gastric emptying so have tried different prokinetics as well.

The Elemental Diet is kind of my last resort option. I'm taking the Elemental Heal formula by Dr Ruscio and started yesterday. I'm already starting to feel more fatigued and kinda worried about a severe die-off reaction - mostly because I'm afraid it will do lasting damage to my ME. therefore I'm curious to hear what your experiences are with the ED. thanks!

Good luck, I decided against it for myself as I was unsure it would resolve long standing dysbiosis but other people report great success.

tango

I wondered about the Elemental Diet but the international shipping makes it super expensive. Not to mention I don't know how many days I would last on liquid only

Good luck!
Let us know if it helps

tango

Does anyone know if any of the meal replacement powders available on iHerb are suitable for the elemental diet? I read the descriptions of several of them are none seem to be quite right. International postage to get the products Dr R sells is expensive and a very long wait.

Nanni

So I've had SIBO for almost 2 years. My main symptom is excessive belching - I belch about 5 hours non-stop per day, and those aren't normal burps, but like massive eruptions that take >10 seconds. It's taking a huge toll on my body (which is also dealing with ME and POTS) and mental state. Honestly it's something that's just not tolerable in the long term.

I've been tested positive for hydrogen SIBO and there was a little methane as well (breath test). My doc suspects I also have hydrogen sulfide but I can't test for that since I'm in Europe. I've tried basically every SIBO treatment there is (antibiotics, different diets, herbal antibiotics, etc.) I also have slow motility/delayed gastric emptying so have tried different prokinetics as well.

The Elemental Diet is kind of my last resort option. I'm taking the Elemental Heal formula by Dr Ruscio and started yesterday. I'm already starting to feel more fatigued and kinda worried about a severe die-off reaction - mostly because I'm afraid it will do lasting damage to my ME. therefore I'm curious to hear what your experiences are with the ED. thanks![/QUOTE

I only just came across your post and wonder what happened. I’m on day 20 on an elemental diet and I’m only a little better overall. I had a couple great days but I’m still symptomatic with stomach distress. I don’t have the belching but stomach pain is still bad. I have slow motility too or rather Gastroparesis. I did this diet 3 years ago with herbals and it helped a lot. I’m worried it’s not helping like I did. I can’t find a Gastro doctor who will treat Sibo so I’m figuring this out on my own. How are you doing?